Friday, April 1, 2011

Setptember 20, 1953

Sunday Sept 20, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I haven't had any more mail from you yet.  I will probably get some this next week.  I haven't done much the last couple of days.  I fried ham, made potato salad etc. I enjoyed it.  I would like to  work there all the time.
I washed my clothes out this morning and other than that that's about all I have done.

When you send my boots how about sending my sun glasses.  They are in the drawer some place.

Time goes by fast here.  Seems like I just got here but it has been two weeks now.  I heard that the troops that are hear now only have to stay a year.  I hope so.  We may even leave sooner if everything turns out OK.  Wish I could go to Hawaii if they move back.

I am sending a paper that I got on the ship for crossing the date line.  It is just like the card only bigger.

I traded for a pack of Korean cigarettes.  They are not bad, don't know what they are.  I am sending the empty package. 

I ran into a fellow here that lived in KC for a couple of years.  He worked for Thompson Products and sold auto parts.  The place is next door to Sam Brown Auto Parts. I think he said the guy he worked for or the manager's name was Frank Terro.  A little short guy who has been in the parts business for a long time.  I thought you might know him.  This kid comes from Thayer, Mo.  His name is Ivy.  He is in the communication platoon in our company.  He took basic at Camp Roberts in the B440, the company to mine.
He left Roberts the night after I got there.  He has been here for quite awhile.

We got a new guy in the platoon the other night.  He comes from Italy.  He has only lived in the U.S. five years before he got drafted.  He was in Italy during the last war.  He was to young to fight.  He is interesting to talk to.

Well don't have much more to say.  When you send the boots you might send a few candles too.  They don't give us but one or two a month.  They don't last long.  I'll write you later.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment