Saturday, April 9, 2011

September 30, 1953,

(first letter that day)

Sept 30, 1953 Wed

Dear Mom, Dad and Snapper

Well I got 15 letters today altogether.  I got some more from Sasebo and 3 to this address.  They should be just about caught up by now.  I got the package today, it had been opened.  It had a box of candy, a flash light, a billfold with $5 in it, a pair of socks, shorts, and T-shirts and a candle.  I hope there wasn't anything lifted out of it.  Thanks a lot for all of it.  It sure was nice.  I liked the billfold.  It was pretty, my old one was about worn out.  The chemicals in my fatigues were hard on it.  I can't spend the $5 bill here any where in the far east.  It is illegal to use them.  Any green back.  I may be able to spend it in Japan when I go on R&R.  You can get more for you green backs, Black Market stuff.  If I can I will just save it. 

I got a letter from Martin in one of your letters.  He is in Ft Lewis, training.  He doesn't say much.  I guess you got his address off the letter.  He did not stay in leadership.  Said he didn't like it. 

I haven't got a package of cookies you sent to the Sasebo address yet.  May be I will get it soon.  I received the package you sent on the 30th.  So you can figure how long it took for it to get here.  I think you mailed it about the 23rd.

What you saw in the paper about the Meigs returning with troops was just coming back from taking us over. 

Did you say Marion was going to write.  You had better give her my new address. 

We went out and practiced for the parade today.  Don't know when it will be for sure.  I got a letter form Jim today too.  Did you say he gave you some pills.  He sure likes to give things.  I don't know much more.
I got a letter from Arkie.  He is in Pusan about 2 mils  out .  He is a long way from here.  I haven't seen anyone I know. 

Well I'll write you later.  Thanks a lot for the birthday package.  I can use all of it.  I am fixed up on clothes now ,we got our winter clothes yesterday afternoon  and I got 2 wool sweaters, muffler, gloves, and will get a lot more and will have about $500 dollars worth of clothes and sleeping gear.  The new boots we will be getting (thermo boots) cost 30 dollars a pair.
Love, Ted

(2nd letter that same day)

Wed  Sept 30, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I thought I would write you a short line.  I have to guard that prisoner again from 11 to 12 so I thought I would stay up and write you a letter.  I went to the show tonight .  We have been having good luck lately.  The nights have been cold and damp.  We wake up in the morning with dew on our sleeping bags even in our tent.  It's sure cold when you crawl out of the bad and put your clothes on.  I am wearing my wool sweater and it sure feels good.  Our tents aren't warm.  We haven't got our floors in them yet.

I sure liked the package.  Let me know if there was anything in it I didn't get.  Billfold, shorts, t-shirt, flash light socks, and candles.  It was sure nice and the candy was real good.  The first candy I have had.  It sure seemed to cost a lot to send it air mail. 

I didn't get paid again today.  It may be next month before I get any.  I am going to go find our about it.  I have almost 300 dollars coming now and next month it will be 400.  It's a good way to save money but I haven't cent.  I have about $1.60 left and that wont last a month.  You can get 4% here on soldiers deposits and they wont give it to you till you get discharged.  I may put my money in that unless you could use it.  You can have any of the money I have if you want it.  Let me know. 

I wrote Martin a letter tonight.  I'll send you the letter I got.  Do you have a hard time reading my letters.  I get careless the ore I write.  You sure do write ma a lot.  I must have 40 letters from you all together now.  I hate to throw them away but it looks like I will have to.  I am going to keep the latest ones.  I get so many and have not place to keep them.  You  don't have to write everyday if you don't want to.  I usually get 2 a day or more anyway.  Well not much more to say now.  I'll write you more later.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment