Tuesday, April 26, 2011

October 31, 1953

Sat  Oct 31, 1953

Dear Folks

It rained all last night and this morning.  We didn't have an inspection.  We got paid instead.  I got $334.  I figured about 344 but that was close enough.  I put 200 in the Soldiers deposit.  It will draw 4% and I get what ever I have when I get discharged.  I paid off what I owed and still have about 100 left.  I might send some of it home later this month. 

We drew the rest of our winter clothes this morning or rather part of it.  I got a liner and hood for my field jacket, a pair of suspenders, wool pants, pile cap and that is about all.  We still have to draw our parkas and hoods and boots etc.  I found out that I am on guard duty tonight so I guess I will be a busy man.


The mail hasn't come in yet so I will wait till I get some before I finish this letter so I can answer it -------

It is Sunday night.  I didn't do much today.  After I got off guard at 6 AM I ate breakfast and went to bed and slept till noon and then I washed out a few things.  I just go a letter from you dated Oct 26 and also one from Jim.

Did you ever get the pictures I sent of the USO show or the ones I sent to be developed yet or is it to soon.

I think this week they are going to change the mortar squads around. I think right now I will be first ammo barer and then in a week or two when the old guys rotate home I will be gunner or asst gunner.  I don't know for sure yet.  You have to wait 4-6 months for corporal and then 8 months for Sgt.


I got a letter from Jan the other day.  It was a nice letter.  Said she joined the church etc.  She sent a picture of Abe and his horse that was in the paper and a picture of her and her mother that was in the paper. (note: he is talking about my mother.  They had been divorced for a while and this is the first time I knew that they ever had contact.  It must have been sort of confusing for him. Mom had recently joined the Catholic church and was probably just trying to mend old hurts.  I thought about asking mom about it recently but decided to let sleeping dogs stay put.  That was then and this is now.)

So they haven't found the money yet. (note: I think he must be referring to the Greenlease ransom money.  Only half of it was ever recovered and two policeman ended up going to jail over it.)  Sure is to bad.  Some one is having a good time with it.  If I had found it I would of helped myself and sent the rest back.

That's funny that letter was not post marked.  I think I mailed it the same place I mail all of them.  The mail l eaves here at 9 AM every morning.

A guy just brought back a 5th of IW Harper from Seoul.  He paid $5 for it.  That was black market price.  It only cost a little less than $2 in Japan for a 5th.  It was good whiskey.  I might try to go to Seoul on a sight seeing trip next Sunday or the week after. 

The weather was nice today.  It has been a little cool most of the day.  I am getting use to the cold now.  I don't think it has started to get real cold yet anyway.

I have been smoking my pipe most of the time since I got it.  I haven't smoke many cigarettes yet.  It was a pretty good pipe of a dollar.

I went to the PX and bought some candy bars etc today.  It seems nice to have a little money in my pocket again. There wasn't much gambling going on this month like last time.  Boy these guys are coming back from Seoul drunk.  Another one just came in. 

Well I don't know much more to say. for now.  I have to guard the prisoner again tonight.  I think I will write to Jim a letter and then go to bed.  I will write again tomorrow.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment