Thursday, December 15, 2011

June 2, 1954

Wed June 2, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Not much new to write about but thought I would drop you a line and let you know everything is fine here with me.  I got a package from you last night.  It had the coke in it and it sure was good.  I still have one coke left and I think I will eat that tonight.  I didn’t get any mail.  Might get a letter tonight.

Last night we went on guard.  I am cpl of the guard and about ready to finish up at for this time.  I didn’t see the show last night.  “It was Roman Holliday.”  I think I will go tonight and see the show.  I don’t know what is playing. 
 
What do you hear from Margie?  Does she call up any more.  I haven’t heard any more from her.  Which is OK with me.

Well we started another month yesterday.  I think it was 7 years ago today that I went to work for Anderson’s.  It sure doesn’t seem that long. (note:  that was an extermination business.) and almost a year ago June 17 I finished basic training.  This month should go fairly fast.  I think we age going to move to Pusan with the rest of the 5 RCT and stay there and go on an 8 day field problem.  I hope not, as I like it here and everyone else does too.  They have a lot more guard down there and don’t make Sgt this month I will not have it to good.  At least like I have it here.  I don’t know whether the 5 RCT is going to leave Korea or not. 

Today 2 US salesman drove into our compound selling whiskey.  They were driving a 50’s Pontiac.  They must have a good job , they sell GI NCO Clubs etc.  They sure looked funny in civilian clothes and long hair and they even looked pale in color.  Seems like all the GI’s are rough and course looking and you can sure tell a civilian.

It rained yesterday so they didn’t have the honor guard like they were going to that I told you about.  They had it inside and myself and another guy were picked to represent the US and stand by the flag.  We went to the ROK medical school across the road and they held the ceremony inside.  Some US Col awarded the Bronze Star to a ROK Lt Col.  It was interesting to see.  There was  a Korean General there and interpreters etc.  We were guards that stood on each side of the officers. 
 
Well I don’t know much more to write about so I guess I will close.  Ask Marian why she hasn’t written my latterly.  I haven’t heard an answer to any last letters.  Well lots of love and I miss you all.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment