Friday, April 22, 2011

October 18, 1953

Sun Oct 18, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I thought I would write a short line tonight.  This morning I got up early and had a good breakfast.  We started on our floor this morning and just got finished.  We still have our sides to put up yet. 

I had a visitor before noon today.  A guy that Margie and I knew.  He lived in KC and is in the 5th RCT artillery.  I got a letter from him a while back telling me he was in the NCO School and for me to look him up.  I never got a chance to so he came here.  I enjoyed talking to him.  He stayed for dinner and Dick Cantino was here for another show so we went to that.  He left about 4 PM.

We put our tent back up and then I went to the Cantino Show again.

Remember me telling you about Alberto Simone from Italy.  He really enjoyed the show and after it was over we went down and talked to him.  He sure is a friendly guy. 

When I got back to the tent I had a letter from you and one from Dad, Oct 10 and 11.  So far the cookies haven't been broke up and they are just as fresh as when you baked them.

To bad Snapper has the flue.  Hope it wont last long.

I got a letter from Margie.  I get them regular now.  Funny she doesn't call up any more.

About the camera.  Don't send the one you said took 16 pictures.  Wait and see what the 35 mm looks like.  You don't need to send film for the camera I have as I wrote for some with that $5.  Just wait awhile on it. 

I don't know what you could send me for Xmas.  I don't need anything.  I think I have told you in my other letters about all I need.  I could use some of that foam shave.  I don't like to have to much stuff as it's to hard to take care of if we ever move. 

I got the clippings Dad sent about the kidnapping.  That sure has been a bad thing in KC (note: see Booby Greelease blog on The Adventures of Conley McAnally, dated April 22.) 

I'll be glad to get the picture of you all.  You said you were in Troop G.  I am in Company G.  I remember you were in the 4th Calvary.  The 5th was a colored unit till they made infantry out of it.  It is just a regt now.

I don't know what I will be doing tomorrow.  We may go out and work with the mortars and some of us will stay in and work on the tent.  I think they will change the mortar section squad around.  I hope I make gunner.  I would like to stay in the 1st or 2nd squad.  If I got to the 3rd squad I will have to move into another tent.  I like the guys in this tent OK.  I may have to move if I want a better position.

Well I don't know much more to say for now so I will close.
Dick Cantino
Love, Ted 

No comments:

Post a Comment