Thursday, April 7, 2011

September 26, 1953

Sat  Sept 26 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Yesterday evening after I finished writing you I got 10 letters.  7 of them were from Sept 7 till Sept 12 and the rest were sent to here at this address.  They were mailed Sept 20.  It only took 5 days to get here this time.  I sure enjoyed reading them. 

I remember reading about Ted and Katie's folks being killed but I didn't know who they were.  It sure was to bad.  Ted and Katie are real nice people.  I got the news clippings about the bombs.  I haven't had a chance to read them yet.  I also got the one about Westinghouse.  It was interesting. To think I use to work on some of those parts and they are just now putting them out.

I am glad you enjoyed going to Jim and Rosalie's.  She can play the violin darn good I think.  To bad about Bill Anawalt and his wife.  I thought that might happen when I saw him last.  Where in Texas is he and what is he doing.

About clothes.  I wont need any fatigues or much of anything because we get our winter clothes soon.  I did not understand what you said about sanitary reasons.  I think it would be better if they gave us more.  They don't want us to be weighted down with a lot of unnecessary things in case we should start fighting again or have to move.  I think they are short of things too.

I am glad you have a map of Korea.  I don't know exactly where I am myself but I am around 50 miles north east of the capital city (Seoul) 6 miles north of the 38th parallel and about 15 miles from what I think would be the central front.  We are on the main road the army built between two small towns.  I don't know if they would even be on the map you have or not.  Where we are now use to be called the Wyoming Line (like the state).  There are trenches and fox holes on the hill in back of our tent.  All kinds of things.  We even run across graves once in a while.  The Chinese graves.  They just laid the people on the ground and put dirt or rocks over them.

About the address Cecil gave you.  I don't know where the 176 AFA Bn would be.  He might be close by but I would ave to know what Div he is in or what Corps he is attached to.  This is the 9th Corps here in this area. 

We finished the inspection this morning and have the rest of the day off.  I don't know whether I will go to the town or not.  I haven't yet.   ---I no sooner wrote that down and the platoon Sgt came in and said everyone was restricted to the Battalion area.  I don't know why but no pass for anyone.

I am sure glad Snapper likes his jacket and it fit him good.  I hope it isn't to big.  Wasn't the color blue and yellow.  I might send another one from here in Korea like that only it will say Korea on it.

I am sure glad JQ and Marlyn's baby is OK.  Tell them hello and send me a picture of the baby and JQ.  I am glad Snapper likes school and looks forward to going. 

I write about as much as I can and hope you get the letters in good time.  I write almost every day.

I guess it is nice to have 2 TV stations.  You can sure have your pick that way. 

I haven't heard anything from the boys yet.  When you talk to Zink's wife try to find out where he is.  I wrote to several of the boys but haven't heard anything from them yet.  I haven't heard from Martin either.  I am going to write him soon.

That was funny about Verna Price.  I can just imagine what it was like.  Wish I could have been there.

The China you want is Northaka I guess.  I'll try to get some when I go to Japan again.  I should get to go around the first of the year.  They have a lot of nice things and I'll send what I can.  I didn't have much of a chance when I was there before.  They have beautiful robes and pictures.  I didn't see any Perls there but I know they have them.  They have lots of pretty linens too.  I would like to send home a lot of things when I go.  I want to have plenty of money when I go.  I got 250 or 300 dollars.  I will stay there in Japan for a full 7 days.  You stay in a hotel I think, you eat on the government. I should be able to save plenty between now and then.  I still plan on sending some home when I get paid.  We should get paid Wed.  I should get around 250 dollars.

Do you know where Hilton moved to in Calif.  To bad Bob Newland lost his job.  Where is he going to work now.

As far as the women here in Korea, I haven't seen any. I don't think there are any over here.  We call women Moose-ah-Mays.  That is Korean for girl.  The one I saw when I came here from Inchon on the truck were not bad looking to much.  They are the same as the Japanese.  They are of the yellow race.  There are a lot of good looking girls in Japan.  They dress American style but they are poor.

There are families here living in the hills around here, some of the guys say.  Every once in a while they catch guys hunting "Moose" and they court martial them.  They don't want  people running around in the hills because there are a lot of mines still laying around they haven't found yet.  Any way as far as the Koreans go I don't like them at all.  They are just making a good living off us.  The US brings money, clothes, food and work for the people here.  To bad the people back home can't do something.  This Sigmon Re is no good.  Everyone wants to shoot him. He wants to fight and keep the UN Troops here for his own self.  The ROCK soldiers are about the same way.  They know after we leave they wont have anything.  They will go back to rice, poor clothes, nothing to live on.

Well that is about all I can think of to say.  I went to the show last night and the projector broke down at the beginning so we didn't see any picture at all, but I enjoyed reading the letters you sent anyway.  Will write again soon.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment