Sunday, April 24, 2011

October 24, 1953

 Sat night  Oct. 24,  53

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I thought I would write a line or two.  Haven't heard from you in a couple of days.  Maybe  I'll get one tonight. I didn't do much yesterday.  Last night I had Bn guard.  It wasn't to cold so it wasn't to bad.

This morning when I came back my section leader asked me if I wanted to go to Boy's Town in Seoul Korea.  I told him yes.  They only sent two from our company.  We went down to Regt Hdqt and there wasn't enough room on the trucks so they sent us back.  The First Sgt said we could go next time.  I am glad I didn't go today because it turned cold and started hailing and then rained hard.  I didn't have much money (20 cents).  Next time I will probably have been paid.  They send a group every week to go there and visit with children.  The Korean Boy's Town is supported by the service men here.  I think the 5th RCT has donated about $18,000 so far towards it.  These same kids will be taken to the different outfits at Xmas for a party. 

Korean Boy's Town

This afternoon we worked around the area and about 3 PM we had beer and soda pop.  It was bought out of company funds.  That is about all that is new with me.

There is going to be a show tonight here in the mess hall.  I think I will take it in.

It cleared off this afternoon but it is still cold.

I traded my pants yesterday for some new ones.  When they came back from the laundry they had some new ones in supply, so I just traded in my old ones.  I think before long we get field pants so I probably wont keep them long. ------

I just got back from the show.  It was called "Call Me Madam" with Ethel Merman and Donald O'Connor.  It was sure a good picture.


 When  I got back to the tent I got a letter dated Oct 18.  It was from Dad, Jim and Roslyn.  I sure enjoyed reading it.  Sounds like you guys had quite a time.  Jim says he sure enjoys being with you.  He says you are just like a mother to him  He said he sent a couple of packages.  I haven't received either one yet.  I hope they get here OK.   How do you like Rosalie.  I guess Snapper and Sharron have a good time with each other.  (note:  Jim was married to Rosalyn and Dad's best friend.  I am not sure how they met.  Rosalyn was a professional violin player and had a daughter by a previous marriage.  I am not sure what her name was and don't know exactly who Rosalie or Shannon were.  Jim had Rosalyn had a baby and it died.  They soon divorced.  Of all Dad's friends that is the only one I really knew and kept in contact with over the years.  More about Jim later.)

Well I haven't much more to say for tonight.  I'll close for now and write again later.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment