Wednesday, April 20, 2011

October 13, 1953

Wed

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got a letter from you last night (Oct 12) and 3 letters today and a box.  The box was the peanut butter cookies, candy, and 5 packs of camels.  They sure were good cookies.  I like the candy too and I needed the cigarettes.  Some times the mail comes slow and then all at once I get several letters at once.  It never takes to long to get them anyway.

I haven't heard from Carlen Talant yet.  He should be fairly close by if he is in the IX Corps.  I got his letter but he didn't say where he was located.  I guess by now Richard has his orders.  I have been wondering where he will be sent.  The Army has a place for everyone but they take their time sometimes with so much red tape etc. 

Can Snapper read very much?

About that school I talked about when I first got here.  I think you might have misunderstood me.  We are training here like we did in the states but it isn't quite as bad as basic, at least it doesn't seem to be.  We have more time off.  The only school they have are the NCO schools.  Very few get to go to that.  I think most of the guys who have gone to school in the Army were picked in the states.  Just like I was picked for the Radio School in New Jersey.  I wont get much of any school now.

I am glad you have the time figured out now.  We are the same time here as Japan.

How is George Schmidt now.  How long will it be before he can go back to work.

The letters I received today were the 13, 14, 15 of Oct.(note: he probably meant Sept)  You might send some one dollar bills if you want me to send some pictures in.  I should be paid this time for sure.

Sounds like the weather is nice in KC now.

I got the clippings again on the Greenlease case.  I'll read them later.  I don't remember about the Heady woman selling boxes.  Lowell might have heard of her.   I will try to write a letter to Frank Tucker.  I don't know what to say to him much but I will try.  I would have to write a good one.  May be if I wrote one he could re write it a little bit for the paper.  You know what I mean.  It would have to sound good. (note: Frank Tucker was the editor of the Intercity News, a local paper in Fairmount)  I still haven't received Jessie's package yet.  He probably mailed it regular.  It will take a little longer.  I will be glad when I get my boots.  It wont take to long to put them on in the morning when I get up.

I guess Joe Doors looked rough with out his shave.  He has a heavy beard anyway.

So you can run around in your t-shirt.  We work around here in the day with our t-shirts some times.  Yesterday it was bad out.  Kind of cold and it rained a little.  We didn't do much yesterday. Our company had their records checked and I asked the guy when I was going home.  He looked at the date I got here and said probably Dec or Jan of next year.  He didn't know, I think he was just guessing.  They usually send you home 90 days before discharging you anyway.  He said I have 3 decorations now.  Korean, United Nations, and one other that I forgot what it was.  Everyone who serves here gets the two I mentioned.

Last night we had a movie in the mess hall.  I saw Clark Gable in Never Let Me Go.  It was sure good.  I guess you saw it because you usually see his pictures.  This morning I stayed in the area and worked on the orderly room. They moved into a new Quonset hut and I helped on the outside of it a little bit.

Well we just finished lunch and I think there is a night problem tonight.

How did you like the pictures.  This guy said I could use his camera if I wanted to.  We can't get any 120 films here though.  If you would send a couple of boxes I'll take some pictures.  He has a Jap camera and it really takes good pictures.  I think I might buy one when I get paid.  I haven't made up my mind yet------We just finished our night problem.  It's about 10 PM now.  I got some coffee at the mess hall and I drank it with some of those cookies. It sure hit the spot.  This afternoon my section leader talked to me about changing squads.  He said I might go to the third squad as asst. gunner.  It wasn't for sure. He said he would let me know.  I hope something works out.  I kind of hate to change squads but it would be a promotion. It will work out.  He also said I would get to go out and fire the mortar when we go out.  Just one squad is going a lot.  We will represent our company.  I don't know when that will be. 

Well I will close for now and go to bed. I will write more news later.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment