Saturday, April 30, 2011

November 7, 1953

Sat  Nov 7,  53

Dear Folks

I got a letter (3) tonight with the pictures.  I only got 3 sets.  You didn't say whether you kept a set or not.  I will wait before I send a set in case I get another one in the next few days.  I didn't realize that would cost so much.  I'll send the money for them.

What did you think of the 17 gun salute by the cannons and the pictures of General Clark and General Hull.  I thought they were good.      
Clark

Hull


I didn't have to stand inspection today.  I worked on the tent all day.  Tonight the flu on our stove stopped up and smothered the fire out.  The stack filled up with smoke and after it cleared out a little we opened the lid on the stove and then let the extra oil burn.  We clean the stove every 3 or 4 days and we never had any problems with it until they had us put in dampers.  We had to clean the stove in the dark out side.

Time sure passes fast anymore.  We no sooner start Monday till another week-end goes by. 

Sounds like the Hodsons are just like they always were.  Don and I use to have a lot of fun in the old Buick.  I often think of the things we use to do.  You have a lot of time to think over here.

That 240 engine is quite an engine.  Sounds like it is quite the job.
 
I am glad to hear that Richard got an extension.  If he went to Stoneman he would be coming to the Far East, may be Japan, Korea, or some other island close around here.  About 90% come to Korea though.

What did Margie say when she called.  I haven't heard from her in a long time.  Guess she is waiting for me to write.  She didn't think I wrote enough.

I was sure glad to get my boots.  I ate the cheese and crackers last night.  They sure were good.

Don Underwood was lucky to fly over  He probably went to Japan, Camp Drake or Sasabo.  He could stay in Japan but probably will come over here.  I hope I can fly back when  go home.

I think the packages you send is a good deal that they don't get broke or opened.  Hope you put a pint in the next one you send.  I know it would get here OK.  Some the guys get them OK.  Keith use to get a half pint in basic all the time.  Don't worry about what you say in your letters about the plant because I burn the letters every week or two.  I don't like to throw them away but I get so many I can't keep them.

I am going to try and get some Xmas cards to mail home but it may be awhile getting there.  I have to wait till I go to the 9th Corps rest center or Seoul.  I guess I will have to work tomorrow all day.  Not much more to say.  So I will close.  I am sending the picture back that I don't want.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment