Friday, April 15, 2011

October 4, 1953

Sunday  Oct 4, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

How are things at home.  I just finished lunch.  I had fried chicken.  It tasted good but not like you use to fix at home.  I got 2 letters from you and a package.  The letters were mailed the 27 and 28. 

I am glad you had Jim and Rosalyn out and you like them OK.  How is JQ and Marlyn and baby.  Did you tell JQ I wanted a picture of him and the baby.  Don't worry about how long it will take them to send the boots.  I probably wont need them till spring.  We will wear our thermos mostly now.  I didn't know they weighed that much.  I haven't opened the box I got today.  It is post marked Sept 17.  Took longer to get here then the others you sent.  I don't know why.

How did my violin sound that Roslyn played.  I doubt it is worth $300.  It might be if some one wanted it.

If  Richard comes to Korea be sure and give him my address.  Did I tell you I was on Route 3 north of a  little village called Po-Chan.  It may not be the way it is spelled. but that is the way it sounds..  I am about 15 miles from there.  Tell him it is not near as bad here as he probably thinks.

I don't know what I said to you about a school.  Every once in a while they have a school about something.  They have a leadership school but they call it NCO school.  I would like to go to it.  You come out a stripe higher than what you have when you go to it.  I would probably be a corporal.  I am eligible for Private First Class now.  If they put me in for it.  It just means more money per month.  It is better than school leadership in the states.  Those guys don't even get PFC.  They only send about 2 out of the company for each class.  May be I can go before long.

I read in the Stars and Stripes paper about the Greenlease kid being kidnapped.  Haven't seen anymore about it.  They have been broadcasting the Series here about 3 AM.  Then they repeat it in the afternoon.  I haven't heard any of it.  I guess now it is 2 games to 1.  May be Brooklyn will win this year but I doubt it.

Well  guess I will open my package  and go to another USO show.  Roy Acuff is here at 2 PM.  It's a western show.  He is popular in the states and I use to hear him.  I will write later when I come back.


Well I opened your package.  The cookies were sure good, so was the candy.  I haven't had any candy like that for a long time.  I went to the USO show.  It was Roy Acuff and the Grand'ole Opera show.  Moon Mullican was there too.  I use to listen to him play a piano and sing at home.  I saw him one time at the Grand'ole Opera show at the Ivanhoe Temple with Hand Williams once.  It was sure hot there in the sun.  They usually have the same show again in the evening.  I may go again and see it over. 

Our Platoon Leader left this morning to go back to the states.  He was 1st Leu.  He was nice.  I talked to him quite a bit.  He had been in KC before and he asked me about different places.  He was 24 years old.  Most of the guys are 21 and 22.  My hair is getting thinner in front.  I hope I am not bald win I get home.  He use to kid me about my hair.  His hair is thin like mine in front.  I don't know who we will have now.   We got a new platoon sgt the other day.  He is called Soilder and has been in the army a number of years.  Dad knows the kind I mean.  Our company commander is a nice guy.  He is about 30 years old and has been in for a long time.  He reminds me of some one back home the way he talks and acts but I can't figure out who yet.  He is smart and talks quite like.  Well I can't think of much more to say so I will close for now. I'll write again soon.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment