Wednesday, April 20, 2011

October 14, 1953

Wed  Oct 14,1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Not much new here but I thought I would write anyway.  I haven't received any mail or packages yet. The mail has been slow for the last few days.  No one is getting any yet.  May be some will come in the eve.

It sure has been cold here at night.  Yesterday I had the afternoon off because I was on Bn guard last night.  It got down to freezing and it sure was cold on my post.  I had a wool sweater, wool shirt, fatigue shirt and field jacket and I was still cold.  I guess I will have to start wearing my long underwear.  This morning when I got off I ate breakfast and then went to bed and slept till 11:00, then ate dinner and spent the afternoon hauling floors for our tent.  The 72nd Engineers build the floors for us and we put them in ourselves.  They are made in sections and it takes 4 for one tent.  It wont be long till we have them in our tent. We will have oil stoves before long and at first we will just have one stove.  We get up a half hour later now because of the light.  So every thing is a half hour later but we keep the same time.  Instead of eating lunch at 11:30 we eat at 12:00.

I broke your ronson lighter last night.  I might mail it home before long.  I think I will buy a Zeppo.  They cost about $1.60 at the PX.

Well we go to chow in a few minutes so I will stop now and finish later. --------

I read in the Stars and Stripes paper about the Greenlease boy being murdered.  It didn't say anything about him being murdered but it said they were holding this woman for the murder kidnapping.  When did they find out he was murdered.

I got two letter and a package from you just now.  One letter was dated the 4 and another was dated the 8 Oct.  I read what you said about the Greenlease.  That is a lot of money.

I did not think that Mrs. Peak was 79 years old.  I got a letter from Jim Rountree tonight too.  Didn't have much to say, just the same old stuff.

I guess the J40 is quite a jet.  That's fast for me.

If Carlin Talant is in the 7th Corps he is in the same Corps I am.

I didn't see that picture from Here to Eternity.  I would like to see it.  I went to the show tonight and saw Fast Company. 

It is pretty cold so I guess I will get my long underwear , it helps out a lot.  I'll sure be glad when they get the stoves put in.

I just opened my package up.  Every thing was OK.  I got the shaving lotion.  I am going to keep it in my sleeping bag with me.  The candy is good and the gum I can use too.  I was almost out of smokes and I think the package couldn't have gotten here at a better time.  I got the little light.  You didn't put batteries in with it did you.  I thought I might have lost them.  Well not much more to say now.  Thanks for the packages and shaving lotion.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment