Monday, April 25, 2011

October 26, 1953

Mom  Oct 26  53

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I got 2 letters tonight and 2 packages.  The packages were OK and the cookies were sure good, so was the candy.  I was glad to get the shoe polish and cigarettes.  The shaving cream came at the right time because I was just about out.  It lasts for quiet a while though.  I didn't get any mail last night. 

Yesterday I didn't do anything all day.  They asked me if I wanted to go to Boy's Town again but I didn't go.  This morning when I got up they asked us if we wanted to go and I decided I would go.  I borrowed $10 from my platoon sgt.  It was sure a nice trip.

I saw a lot of things from the truck on the way.  Boy's Town is on the outskirts of Seoul.  We rode the truck to a canal and got on a ferry and went across.  The town is a small camp with buildings.  They have a Mayor, YMCA headquarters, and a Boy Scout Troop.  The Boy's Town was started by the 5th RCT.  They donated $18,000 for it.  They have a memorial there.  It only took us an hour to go through.

We went back to Seoul and we had about 2 hours to spend there.  We went to the UN PX.  It is a big place  4 stories high.  I had two hamburgers with cheese and bacon, coffee, two pints of ice cream.

This guy I was with and I decided we would go out on the street.  We went to a Korean shop and had some pictures taken.  We talked them into 5 for $1.50.  They took to long so we walked off and left them.  They took to long to develop them.  I may get them some other time.  We went back and started back to camp.  I only spent $4.  I bought a scarf where I had my picture taken so I am sending it.

I am on company guard tonight.  We sure get a lot of guard anymore.  Company guard, that is the mess hall, supply and the Bn guard, that's the regular guard.  Our platoon has that prisoner still and we got another one now.  I don't trust the new one to much.  Our squad gets that guard every 4th night.  I get the morning off now because we are on guard.  That is OK with me because we are going out and set up in the hills tomorrow morning.  I don't know all the details yet but I think it's because the 90 days will be up tomorrow and I think they want to be ready. We wont be on the front anyway right now.  I get to ride out on a truck at noon.  I think they may extend the 90 days from what I hear.

I hope Carlin gets here before long, I would like to see him.  I don't think he is to far away from me if he is still in the IX Corps.

I thought the packages were swell and think you should take it easy.  It cost a lot to send them.  I enjoy them but it is rather expensive.  I am glad you saw the Coronation Ball (note: that was the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II) and the Cisco Kid.  I heard that Leo Carrillo who played Poncho was dead.  I think he died a few months ago. 


I guess you had quite a time with Jim and Rosalyn.  They make quite a pair.  So Don Underwood is on his way here.  Didn't he get to go to OCS or didn't he want to.  I hope he is close by.  He wont know his new Division till he gets to Soul.

I don't think the pay is messed up, they just didn't get the money Saturday.  If not I will find out about it.  I wrote Mr and Mrs Sears (note:  that was my mother's mother and her husband.) a letter and thanked them for the birthday card. 

Did you say you put a 25 cents can of polish in that box.  That must have been a big can.

As far as what I need for Xmas.  I don't know of anything.  The floors help out and when it gets real cold we will have another stove in our tent.   So, it is warm in KC yet and you sleep with the doors open.  That is bout the way it is here only its not to warm.  It rained again last night or rather early this morning.  Didn't last long.  Boy you sure got the pictures back in a hurry.  I'll send them back home.  They wee good and I enjoyed them very much.  Boy I am sure glad to know that Zinks is that close to me.  I was hoping that after he finished CBR school they would send him to the 5th RCT.  K Company is in the 3rd Bn.  I am in the 2nd Bn.  They are just down the same road I am, just a few blocks.  I am going down there the first chance I get.  I like Zink and Sipes better than I did any of the rest.  I wont have any trouble seeing him.  I think I will go tomorrow night if I get back in time from out trip.  

You said you enjoyed reading about the Chiporee Sweepstakes.  I don't remember whether I sent you a copy of our paper or not but I will send it anyway.  Well can't think of much more to say now  So I think I will go to bed.  I have to get up at 1 AM for guard.  Thanks for the packages.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment