Friday, April 8, 2011

September 28, 1953, son

This was addressed again to Master Conley Stone McAnally

Monday Sept 28, 1953

Dear Snapper

How are you doing in school.  I am sending you a 5th RCT patch.  It's not a very good one.  It is the only one I had.

Saturday afternoon we had orders to move to the front.  We packed field packs and fell out. We got flak jackets , ammo for the mortars.  They tore the mess kitchen down and loaded it in a truck.  We were waiting to go when the Battalion Commander called it off.  He said he just wanted to see how long it would take to get ready.  It didn't take very long.  hey even made us tear our patches off.  So I figured rather than to sew it back on I would send it you .  I thought the war started again.  It sure give you a funny feeling.

I got a pass and went to a village and saw some Korean people and how the live.  I took some pictures of some children, women and men.  I'll send them when I get them back.  I bought some candles too.  So I will have some light to read by and write. 

This guy I was with had some friend at the 3 Divis. 65 Regt. so I went with him.  After seeing how they live and the things they do I think we have a good Regt.  We have it a lot easier than they did as far as our food and camp.  That makes me think the 5th RCT is on the ball.

Last night I had to guard a prisoner who went AWOL last April.  They caught him in Japan and brought him back.  He doesn't act just right.  I layed on the cot next to him and talked to him.  I would doze off and he would wake me up when he heard some one coming.  The last guy who went AWOL got 20 years in prison.  He was court marshaled about 2 weeks ago.  He left when they were fighting.

I got a letter from Gary Sipes yesterday.  He is with the 25th Division.  He is about 3 miles from the front building bunkers.  He is from KC and I think his wife is going to have a baby next month.

There is going to be a big parade next Friday.  General Mark Clark will be here and the General who takes his place.  The entire IX Corps will be inspected by him in the parade.  I may get to be in it.  You will probably read about it in the papers and news reels.  Each outfit in the Corps will be represented.  I guess it will be a big thing.

Well I have to go to lunch in a few minutes so I will close for now.  It looks like it might rain this afternoon.  Write me soon and I hope you like your patch.  I'll send a better one when I get a chance. 
Love, Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment