Tuesday, April 12, 2011

October 1, 1953

Thurs  Oct 1, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got you birthday card this afternoon.  It sure was nice.  I also got a card from Evelyn and Jim and one from Larry and Mike.  I guess I will write them and thank them.  I also got 3 letters tonight and the Union News.  I enjoy reading it.

I don't know much new.  I went and practiced for the parade today again. That's about all we do. We usually have the afternoon off afterwards.  We had a Regt parade this afternoon again.  We have a show tonight.  We have had one almost every night lately. 

You know that after every payday there is a lot of gambling.  I came back tonight from the show and the tent was full of guys shooting craps, playing black jack and poker and all.  The Koreans manage to get some of the GI money some way and they play too.  It put me in mind of an opium den with all the Koreans gabbing and smoking.  The Korean corporals only get paid about 45 cents in GI money.  We don't pay pay them we just keep them.  The Korean government pays them.  45 cents a month isn't very much is it.  I doubt that the privates even get 25 cents.  They call their money Won.  They say that some months they don't get any money.

They guy who sleeps next to me got some candles today so we should have plenty between us for awhile.  We both use the same candle.  I got a carton of cigarettes tonight so I will have something to smoke until they give me some money.  That is all I need it for anyway. 

I am sending you the 5th RCT paper.  It is not to new but I thought you might enjoy reading it anyway.

I sent the letter I got from Gary Snipes yesterday, thought you would like to hear how it is in other places.  I am glad you liked the pictures I sent.  I didn't think they were that good.  I will send you some more when I send them in and get them back.

Margie said in one of her letters that she is going to Chicago, so I guess she will be away for awhile. 

The weather is about the same and I am feeling OK other than a little cold.  We have it good here.  I like it OK.

About the time you can't figure out.  I have a hard time myself.  When it is 9 pm in KC it is noon here and the next day.  When it is noon in Chicago on Monday it is 3 am Tuesday in Korea.  I think we are about 15 hours a head of you.  That is if you are on the same time as Chicago.  That doesn't mean Day lite saving time.  I have a card they gave me at Sasebo.  So when it is 9 pm in KC you can think about me eating lunch the next day.  I meant to send this before but I forgot about it until I read your letter the other day.

Right now I am guarding the prisoner again.  I just do an hour.  We have to guard him because he was in this platoon when he went AWOL from the front line. He will be here until his court martial comes up.  He left the front and got to Japan.  No one know how he did it.  He may be charged with desertion.  He could get shot but most likely he will just get about 20 years and if he is lucky he may not get anything.  We had to guard him again tonight because the guy who was supposed to guard him the last hour between 5 and 6 was asleep when the Sgt came in to wake us up.  So our tent had to guard him again.  I am guarding him between 10 and 11. 

We have all kinds of beer in the tent.  The guys buy it by the case.  I am sitting on the prisoner's bunk writing this letter and drinking cold beer.  It is Budweiser in cans but it doesn't taste like the beer we use to get up at Quins in Fairmount.

It is cold tonight and I have my wool sweater on .  Seems funny to be so cold and drink a cold beer.  I am getting use to it.  I run around in my in my T-shirt part of the time and wash.  We have had a chance to take a shower for about 3 weeks not but I give myself a GI bath. 

I saw the Regt Flag today.  It has streamers all over it. About 30 or 40 of them.  This outfit use to fight Indians before the Spanish American War.  It use to be the 5th Calvary.  Your unit use to be the 4th Calvary didn't it Dad.  For every battle they were in or country they were in they put a streamer on the Regt Flag.  It is pretty old but fit.  It is a pretty rough outfit.  They are made up of hand picked men and a lot of the guys have been in the stockade for going AWOL and other stuff.  I think about 25% of the guys have been in the stockade.  I don't know why they picked me for this out fit.  There are a lot of good guys here though and they bring in a lot more everyday.  They have a lot of spirit.  I don't mean the guys here are rough or convicts they are just young and ornery.

Well I guess when you get this I will be 25 years old.  Sure doesn't seem like it.  Wont be long till I'm 30.  I miss being home.  This is the first birthday I have been away from home.  I guess by the end of the month we will know whether or not the truce is signed for good or not.  I sure hope it is.  I may get to come home sooner if it is.  We are ready if it starts.  When we go practice for the parade we go up to the front.  They are digging bunkers etc up there.  We can see them 

Well can't think of much more to say.  I will close for now.  I sure miss you and wish I could be home.  Tell the guys at work hello and tell Jim and Evelyn I will write them a line.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment