Friday, April 22, 2011

October 17, 1953

Mortars

24th Division Patch
Oct 17, 1953  Sat.

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

(2 our of three wasn't bad)
I got your clippings last night about the kidnapping.  That sure was a bad thing.  I hope they put all 3 of those people in the chair.

I got your letter this morning that you mailed Oct 9.  I think I am getting your letters OK now so you need not number them any more.  The weather is about the same.  The nights are not quite so cold for a couple of nights now and the days are a little warmer.

The parade we were in that day came out OK.  We never heard much about it either and you probably wont either.  I hope the war wont start either but if it does I can take care of myself.  The 4th platoon is a weapons platoon and the mortars are always in good position.  I don't look for it to much for awhile even if the 90 days are up and nothing is done.  It gets plenty cold here in the winter and we are better equipped than the Chinese.  The 5th RCT always gets 4 pt and $45 dollars a month more when the war is on.  They have always been on the front.  They are the oldest outfit in Korea now.  They came here 2nd after the 24 Div.  The 24 Div isn't here anymore.  I am not worried about the war myself so don't you.

As far as x-mas, I don't know of much here.  I couldn't hardly tell you what to send.  I think I have told you about everything I need in my other letters.

No I still have not been paid yet and my 1st Sgt said I probably wont till payday.  I spent the $5 you sent on the pictures.  I can last till payday I think.  The cigarettes you sent came at the right time.  If I had known that I wouldn't get paid last time I would have had you send me a money order, but I didn't know.  I don't know what happened to the packages you sent but I still haven't got them yet.  There isn't much I can do about it even if I asked.  I might wait a little longer.

Don will be in the army a long time if he doesn't get to OCS before long because he has to sign up for more time when he gets out of OCS.  He may just be spending time like a lot of the guys do by signing up for OCS and waiting for it and then when they get their orders turn in down.  Then they don't have much time left and they get to stay in the states.

You know that "Red" who works in the barber shop.  He is a nice guy he has a couple of kids. (note:  I am puzzled why he brings that up.  Red was Red Duncan.  He worked in the same barber shop as Johnny Collins and when Johnny left to start his own barber shop Red bought the one they had all worked in.  Red ended up buying a house across the street from us on Lake Drive and was the one who signed me up for Cub Scouts.)

I never did get the packages Jim sent.  He must have mailed it regular mail.  I hear from Jim once in a while and Margie too.  I'll send some more patches to Snapper when I get some.  They are a little hard to find here.

I haven't been drinking any beer much.  It is cold for one thing and we can't have it in the co. area anymore.

The other day I stayed in the area and worked.  I gave one of the Sgts in our platoon a drink of my shaving lotion. He is a U.S. and 26 years old.  He comes from Sabethe, Kansas. About 60 miles north of Topeka.  He is a farmer and stayed out of the draft because of his farm.  He made Sgt over here.  He reminds me of Bert's brother in Scott City the way he talks.  Kind of slow and easy going.

Yesterday we had a mortar exam for our section.  I was lucky again.  I made 196 out of 200.  I was high man in our company mortar section.  I made expert.  I was only 6 sec off of making 200.  The test is not firing but taking the fire commands and setting the mortar at different ranges in a minimum amount of time correctly.  I might get to be gunner or assistant gunner one of these days.

Last night I took in a show and this morning we had our usual Sat. inspection.  I haven't done much but write this letter since noon.  We may put our floor in today if they come in.  We get the next floor for out tent. 

The Korean boy never did get to go home. (note: the boy who was informed his mother died by letter)  He only lived 200 miles from here.  They sure do think funny.  The boy is about the best ROCK we have.  He sleeps next to me and always helps me clean my area etc.  When we were on alert that night he carried the mortar by himself and wouldn't let any one else carry it for him or help.  He came here after I did. Well I think I will stop now for awhile and write later on.  It wont go out before Monday morning anyway.  I have some wash to do and some other stuff.--------

I didn't get to much done this afternoon.  I layed around most of the time.  We got our stove this afternoon and I helped clean the preservatives off with gasoline.  We also got our floor.  We will probably start on that before long.  May be tomorrow.  We were lucky.  We got the new style kit.  They will be harder to put in but it will be better.  The floor is tung and grove and we also have siding.

We had chicken for dinner this eve.  It tasted good.  I am sending you some clippings out of the Stars and Stripes paper.  It gives you some idea what we wear.  That is not all of it though. We have thermo boots I told you about.  They just came out this year.  Those pile caps are funny looking but they should keep us warm.  They are sure getting Strack in our company.  Our Captain hasn't been here much longer than I have.  He is starting to clamp down.  He is a West Point graduate.  He probably won't be here long.  He is to good a man to keep in a company.  He will probably go to Bn HQ or Regt HQ before long.  He will probably be a general before he retires from the army.  His name is Book. (note: Dad looked up Book years later and found that he had indeed retired from the Army, lived in Texas but never did make General.)   I hope I can get some place while I am here.  I think I would like to come home a Sgt.  It is hard to make rank now that the war is over.  I have been trying my best.  I may not be here long enough to make Sgt because you have to have so much time in grade.  I have to make PFC, then Corpl first.  May be I will get  break.  I haven't had any yet so it is about time.  I try to keep my boots polished.  They shine more than the officers.  I keep a fresh shave every day and I don't horse around like I use to at work.

Well I don't know much more to say.  I guess I will close now.  I will send Martin's letter along with this.  I wrote him a letter tonight.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment