Tuesday, April 19, 2011

October 12, 1953

Monday Oct 12, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad and Snapper

I got Dad's letter today along with the emery cloth.  I don't have a rifle now but I cleaned my trench knife up.  Boy it sure is pretty.  I polished the leather handles on it.  I will be glad to get the shaving lotion.  I haven't had any for a long time  (note to blog reader:  Dad was not that interested in shaving lotion.  The rules where he was was that the only kind of alcohol the you could have was beer.  My grandfather decided to clean out old after shave lotion bottles and fill them with whiskey.  This went on for a long time.)  I haven't got the package yet but it should be here any day.  I think it will make the trip OK if you put it in with cookies etc.  I knew what you meant about J.Bakers Drug Store.

How long was the plant closed.  I enjoyed the pictures of the fellows working on the house.  I could make out Herb Colburn.  He was standing on the roof with a box on his shoulder.

Not much new here.  It was kind of cold most of the day yesterday and I didn't do much.  I went to the show last night and it started raining about the last of the picture.  It was sure cold and it really rained.  More rain than I have seen most of the time I have been here.  It was clear today but it was cold.  A wool sweater under our fatigues makes it OK.  I guess before long I will wear my long underwear.

I think I will go to the show tonight.

I can tell you a little better where I am if it is on your map.  The town Ch'owon (I think that is the way you spell it).  We are in that area.  The Ch'owon Valley.  We are close to the Wyoming line.

Well I went to the show and they didn't have sound so I came back and I had some mail from you.  I got one letter that was dated Sept 16.  I am just now getting it.  The other letters were the ones you wrote Oct 6.  Did you send a bottle of shoe polish in one of the packages.  I don't know what happened but next time if it is opened I will take it back to the PM.  We are supposed to sign for insured packages.  All the other packages arrived in good shape.

I took the $5 and sent my pictures in and I'll send you some soon.

While I have been writing this letter a Korean who sleeps next to me was reading a letter and he started crying.  We didn't know what was wrong.  Sgt Con later told us his moma-san died.  It is strange they just write a letter to tell them rather than send for them.

Don't worry about me going to sleep on guard.  I don't when I am on regular guard and don't anymore while I am guarding the prisoner.  He is OK and I know how to handle him.  He is still here.  I have learned to sleep lite and I wake up at the least little noise.  It is a different kind of guard with him anyway. 

I will be glad to get that package you talk about.  It's plenty cold writing this letter.  It wont be so bad when we get our floors and stove in our tents. 

Was Mrs. Peak planning to stay in KC or jut visit.  I guess Martin hadn't got the letter I wrote him when he sent this one.  When I answer it I'll send it to you.  My letters are never opened. Some times the corner is torn a little.  Like the lennon cloth envelope was torn at the corner.  I guess they just like to look in some of them.  Don't worry about the shaving lotion.  It should get here OK if you sent it like you sent the others.

About our eggs and potatoes.  Sometimes our potatoes are concentrated and mixed with fresh potatoes.  They taste OK after you are use to them.  We have fresh eggs.  Usually we get eggs to order (or almost).  Some times they are scrambled.

I don't know much of anything you could send me to eat.  I like candy .  Some times when you send a package you might put a can of ox blood shoe polish in it.  I like to have my boots a different color once in a while.  I could use some of that new fome shave stuff.  I am almost out of it and I can't get it here.  Those little pen light batteries you can't get either.

I see you have some of those self sealing envelopes.  I like them OK.  You don't have to lick them.

Well I don't know much more to say.  I still haven't been paid yet and I am making 20 cents stretch a long way before I borrow any more.  I think by the end of the this month I will have about $340 dollars coming the way I figure it.  Are you getting Snapper's money OK.  Well I am fine and I'm glad everything is fine at home.  Will write again and thanks for the packages.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment