Sunday, May 8, 2011

November 26, 1953

Nov 26, 1953   Thanks Giving Day

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well we sure had a big diner today.  We had turkey, dressing, potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, shrimp cocktail, peas and carrots, celery, radishes, onions, olives, tea, nut mix, candy, ice cream, fruit, cake and pumpkin pie.  It was fixed pretty good.  Better than I expected.  We had a big breakfast too.

We didn't do anything all day but take it easy.  Zink came by today for awhile and talked.  Nut much new to say.  I took a couple of pictures. 

I still have my cold.  I can't seem to do much for it.  I didn't sleep  very good last night.  I wish I could shake it off but it seems to get worse instead of better.  I think I will go to bed early tonight.  We will probably train a little tomorrow.  I don't know what it will be yet.

It was nice all day today.  How do you like this stationery.  It's the only sheet I had.  One of the guys had a couple of sheets and he gave me one.  The PO is an old one.  It use to be 301.  It has our 5th patch with G on it for our company.  The other is a Korean service ribbon.


I guess about right now you are getting ready for your dinner.  This is the first time I have been away from home this far away for Thanks Giving.  I thought about home and wondered what you were all doing.

Well I don't have much more to say right now so I guess I will close.  Thanks for the packages you sent and the cards.  I hope I can come home next year by this time.  Well lots of love and I miss you.
Love, Ted

PS:  I wrote Frank Tucker a short letter at last.  Tell him he can fix it up if he wants to put it in the paper.

(note:  Frank Tucker was the editor and publisher of the local news paper called the Inter City News that circulated in parts of the unincorporated area of Jackson County between Independence and Kansas City.  The paper was located under the Standard State Bank in Fairmount.)

No comments:

Post a Comment