Tuesday, April 26, 2011

October 29, 1953

Thur  Oct 29,  53

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got two letters today, one at noon from Dad mailed Oct 22 and another from Mom mailed the 21 of Oct.

We didn't do much today.  It rained all night long and it cleared off today.  We worked in the area, had PT, checked our shot records and this afternoon the CO (Col. Wheller) talked to the whole combat team.  He is leaving the 5th RCT and made a farewell speech and asked for donations for the Boy's Town.

I walked down to King Company to see Zink tonight and he was on Bn guard.  I went to the guard house and talked to him.  We talked for quite awhile.  He is in the 4th platoon there like I am.  He is in a mortar position also.  He hadn't been paid yet and I loaned him $2.  He was out of smokes.  We had a good time talking.  I am sure glad he is close to me.  He said he was going to try and come up Sat and see me if he could get away and stay all day.  He has been here since the last of Sept.  He got here after I did.

I have prisoner guard tonight.  I think I will try and catch the show at 9 PM.  I don't know what is playing.

Tomorrow our section fires the mortar so we will be out tomorrow all day doing that. 

To bad they couldn't have that rain we had last night in KC. 

I guess that is quite and inspection they are having at work.

I am glad Snapper is doing OK in school.

I am sorry you are having so much trouble getting the packages to 2 lbs. all the time.  I usually look through the packages good.  I hope I have had all the packages you sent so far.  I still haven't got the one you sent to Sasabo or the one Jim sent yet.  I should get my boots before long. 

I forgot when you said that Snapper's teacher lived in back of Evelyn. (note: The teacher was Mrs. Dodd, I had here for 1st and 2nd grade. She lived behind my Great Aunt Evelyn and Uncle Jim.  Her son went to West Point I think.)  I had a teacher at Chrisman that lived a few doors down from Evelyn. Her name was Mrs. Leonard.

Well I don't have much more to say right now.  I guess.  I guess I will write a letter to Sipes and then go to bed.  The guys said they just had TV shorts at the movie tonight so I don't guess I'll go.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment