Sunday, April 17, 2011

October 9, 1953

Fri 9th Oct. 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got a letter and your package yesterday with my glasses, candles, and cookies.  The cookies were sure good but as usual they didn't last long.  I am set on candles now and I was sure glad to get my sun glasses.  I have had them on all day.  I could never wear them in basic.

Everything is about the same here.  Yesterday afternoon we had a parade and last night I went to the show.  This morning we trained and had another class with the mortar. This afternoon we see a ROCK demonstration on artillery.

Don't worry about me roughing it.  It isn't as bad as you might think.  We have showers in Quonset huts now and then, and this winter we will have our kitchen and chow hall in the new Quonset hut.  They are almost finished with it.  I think next week we will put floors in our tents and some oil stoves.  So it wont be to bad.

I guess the lake looks a lot different after they dug it out.

I think I told you I got a birthday card from Jim and Margie.  I guess Margie is back at her old job now.  Do you ever talk to her.  What have you heard from Jim.  Well we go to lunch in a minute and we should get some mail too, so I guess I will close for now and I'll finish later --------Well we just got back.  It was about 4 miles over and 4 miles back.  I got a taste of some of those hills here.  They are plenty steep and we just went over 2 small ones.  I got 2 letters today mailed the 2nd and 3rd.  I also got another one from Sipes.  He is the only one of the boys address' I have.  Did you ever find out what Zink's address is yet.  How about sending me Bill Anawalts address and may be Newlands. 

My package arrived in good shape.  The cookies weren't broken a bit and just as fresh as the day you baked them.  I still haven't got the package you sent to my old address.  You don't have to send a package every week because I know it cost quite a bit to send them.

I think I wrote two letters to Virginia and Lowell.  I sent one soon after I was here and another one about a week or 2 ago.  Find out what their right address is.  After I finish dinner I think I will go to the show again tonight.  Well I guess I'll close for now and write tomorrow or Sunday.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment