Monday, April 18, 2011

October 11, 1953

Sun Oct 11, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Not much new here, everything is about the same.  Last night was the coldest night we have had.  I don't know what the temperature was but it was cold and damp.  I slept warm in my sleeping bag and slept good. 

I just got a letter from Jim yesterday.  He didn't have much to say.  I got up this morning and went to breakfast.  They served the first meal in the new Quonset hut this morning.  It sure is nice.  It is set up almost like our mess hall in the states.  There are two Quonset huts put together.  I guess we will have turkey or chicken today.  We usually have turkey and chicken twice a week.  We had turkey Wed so will probably have chicken today.

Yesterday we had an inspection as usual and had the afternoon off.  I didn't do much but lay around all afternoon.  I washed some clothes out and have some clean clothes for a while.  Last night I went to the show again.  I saw Serpent of the Nile.  I had seen it once before but I enjoyed seeing it again.  It's nice to see a movie every night.  They usually have good ones.

They ran out of beer in our beer parlor so we haven't had any for awhile.  The old man put a stop to us having it in our tents anymore.  They are stopping us from doing a lot of things like that. 

I am glad to hear everything is going OK at the plant.  Tell the boys hello for me.  To bad they don't go on 6 days again or every other Sat.

There are a lot of jets flying around here on training flights.  They come over here almost every afternoon and dive at some hills close by and then pull out of the dive and when they go over you can't hear them until they passed by.  They really move fast.

I hope I get some mail from you today.  We have mail delivered on Sunday.  How is Snapper in school.  Hope he is learning something.  Has he started reading yet. 

Did I tell you that when the Koreans get a letter from their people they read it a lot different than we do.  They seem to chant it or something or sing it.  When you get 2 or 3 of them reading them together it sounds weird.  When I first heard them I thought they were singing or praying. 

Well I guess I will stop for awhile and perhaps finish later this afternoon.  May be I will get some mail from you.  So far you letters come in good time and I usually get 2 letters at once.  I still haven't received the package you sent to me when I was in Sasebo.  So far I have received the following packages.  Round Cookies, your birthday package, some date cookies, and some ginger cookies.  They all have gotten here in good shape.  So far I get more mail than anyone else around here. -------Well I finished dinner.  We didn't have chicken we had steak.  I haven't much moor of any thing to talk about.  I have just been laying around taking it easy.  I'll probably go to the show tonight.  I'll write you a line and let you know the news later on.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment