Thursday, April 28, 2011

November 4, 1953

Wed  Nov 4,  53

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I go a letter last night and a letter today and 2 packages.  The spice cake sure was good.  I was glad to get the pipe and the Rum & Maple.  I got the shaving lotion OK and the candy etc.  I liked all of it.  The envelopes were nice too.  I am well fixed for cigarettes now.

I didn't get a chance to write the last 2 nights.  Monday we did the same old thing and Monday night I went to bed fairly early because we had to get up so early Tues morning.  Tuesday we had a problem out in the field.  I got to operate the radio all day.  I told the Sgt I could operate one so I got the job.  I sat in the pits all day.  The rifle squads made some attacks and fired their rifles at targets.  We had a 50 cal machine gun in our pit and we took turns firing it.  It was a lot of fun.  We fired at a big rock about 2000 yards away.  We had 1500 rounds to fire all day.  We almost cut the rock in two by the end of the day.  The guy who set the machine gun up did not adjust the head space right and when he fired the first few rounds a round blew up in the machine gun.  He just cut his hand a little bit.  I got an idea how it feels to be in combat a little bit.  They fired rocket launchers at us and they fell about 75 yards from us.  They also fired at targets around our pit.  We were in a safe place though.

Last night when we came back in the company was going out for a night problem.  One of the Sgts sent Guthmeller and I to the 9th Corps Headquarters PX to buy Xmas presents.  I only had time to buy 2 things.  I couldn't send them air mail so it will be about 60 days before you get it.  I hope you like it and it arrives OK.  I was going to try and buy some more things to send but they ran out of order slips.  It is a mail order gift shop.  They send the orders to Japan and they will  ship them from there.  I may get to go back before long.  I hope so, they had a lot of nice things.  I looked at some China.  It was Noritake.  I think it was the same as you said.  They were all 92 piece set and the ship weight was 130 lbs.  The price was $35 to $100.  They had some pretty sets from $50 to $60.  What kind of design did you have in mind.  Gold trim, painted flower etc or what.  I would like to have some idea.  I would like to send some more things for Xmas but don't know whether I can or not.  You will be late getting what I have sent now.


The Old Man called me in and asked me if I would like to be the Troop Information and Education NCO.  There were 3 of us.  The TIE would be giving class once a week.  You know what I think of that.  We all said OK but one guy acted over enthused about it so he let him have it.  I was relieved because I didn't want it to bad.  I found out today that I am going to go to  NCO school but the Captain is going to send Guthmeller instead because he had been here a little longer than I have.  I am going next.  It will be a month or so before I go.  I hope I get to go.  Sgt Gretizie told me that Captain Book thinks McAnally and Guthmiller are petty nice boys.  It may work into something good.  Sgt Gretizie is from Sabbath, Kansas.  His brother works at Bendix.  He is going home before long, may be this month.  I told him to call you up when he gets to KC.  He said he would.  He is 27 and a farmer.  He is a nice guy.  I really like him.  You would enjoy talking to him.  Another Sgt is leaving too.  Sgt Hill.  His wife works at Sears.  He is about 24 and kind of religious.  He doesn't drink or swear.  He is a nice guy too.  He said he would call you or come by the house.  It will probably be in Dec.  Gretizie is the squad leader of the 2nd mortar squad and Hill the 3rd squad.--------

I took time out to take a shower and go to the show.  I saw "City that Never Sleeps."  I have to guard the prisoner tonight from 12 to 1.

Can you remember when you mailed my boots.  I got a package from Margie tonight that she mailed Sept 29.  She sent me some nice stationary and a big box of mixed nuts.  It sure was nice.  I haven't heard from her for quite awhile.  I don't think she liked the last letter I sent her.  I am well fixed on stationary now.  I should get my boots any day now.  I haven't got the package Jim sent yet.  I should get here one of these days.

Did I tell you that Monday I got called on during PT to give the 8 count push up.  My section leader called me.  I had to get up in front of the company and command the exercise.  I didn't mind at all and I did 10 repetitions instead of 8.  I made some of those Sgt's backs hurt for a change.  It is funny but usually when you are doing the push-ups you get tired but when you are doing them and counting them off for the company they are not nearly as hard.

We had a tetanus shot Monday also.  I sure have had a lot of shots since I have been in the army.

We put a new tent over our floor so it shouldn't leak now. 

So Richard is still at Ft. Sill.  He might be able to stay there if he is lucky.

I don't know if I will get any more advancement right now or not.  They may wait till I come back from NCO school or something.  I hope I make Sgt in the mortars.  If I was in the rifle squad I might not like it very well.  Gretizie said I should make it before I leave.

That picture I sent was taken right outside our tent.  The company area is in the background and those hills that you see in the rear are all around us.  They are small compared to the ones that you see on the front line.  I have been up there once or twice and they are a lot larger.

It seems like each night it gets a little colder.  I hope winter wont last long.  I liked the Sea Forth shaving lotion you sent.  I hope you send some for Xmas presents or rather some clothes for the kids.  Be sure and send them to the CO.  They can use it.

Well I have just about ran out of things to say.  I am sending a scarf that a Korean was selling.  I didn't buy it I pulled a fast one on him.  It's not much but thought you would like it.  I think I will drink a little shaving lotion and go to be.  I'll write again soon.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment