Sunday, April 3, 2011

September 22, 1953

Tuesday Sept 22 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got a letter from you today.  It was mailed Sept 8, 1953.  It took 2 weeks for it to get here.  It went through Sasebo.  That's why it took so long.  I guess your package will be here in the next few days.  It will take longer for it to get here because it has to go to Sasebo.  I think it will take longer than a week any how.  How long does it take for mail to reach you.  I thought you would have more mail than that.  What letter was it I mailed on the 29th.  Was it the long letter I wrote on the ship or some I wrote from Sasebo.  Did you get the larger envelope with some things in it and a picture of the Megis.  Let me know so I will know how the mail is going.  You should have now received the mail from me here at this new address.  I hope I get some mail from you soon.

So Snapper is thrilled about starting school.  I'll be glad to get your cookies.  It shouldn't take to long if you send them straight here.  Some of the guys are a month getting packages but I didn't know whether it is air mail or not.

I took some pictures Sunday with Carlos Rea,  a guy in my squad I told you about.  It will be a while before I get them.  I have to send them in to the company in Chicago when I get paid and then wait about 4 weeks.

I went to the show a couple of times.

Yesterday we fired on the range.  I thought I would fire an M-1 but I fired the carbine.  Everyone fires what ever they carry.  I did plenty good on it.  We went out again this morning.  The range is almost three miles out.  3 of us guys slipped away from the rest of the guys and walked by our selves so we wouldn't have to walk back in formation.  A major and two Sgts came up to us in a jeep and asked us what we were doing.  We don't them we had been left behind the rest of the guys and were going to walk back.  We thought he was going to get on us but he said get in.  He gave us a lift.  You can only carry five in a jeep and there were 6 of us.  He told us that when we got close to the 5th RCT Headquarters he would let us out.  He didn't want the Old Man (the Old Man is Col. Wheeler the Regiment Commander) to see 6 of us in the jeep.  You always call the commanding officer the "old man."

Did I tell you that the 5th RCT is attached to the 9th Corp.  There is the 3rd Division, 2nd Division and then the 5th RCT.  There are usually 3 divisions in a corp.  A division has about 12 to 20,000 men.  A regiment has about 4000.  So you can see the difference in size.

Don't know why you haven't heard from Margie.  I got a letter from her today.  She said she was going to Chicago about the next weekend.  She wrote about the 8th.  So I guess she has been home.  Have your heard any more from Jim.  How is JQ and his family.  Let me know.  Have you taken any new pictures lately.  You might send a couple if you have.  If you talk to Jim tell him I would like to have a snap shot or two of him and Rosalie.

Don't know to much more to write or say right now.  I think I will go to the show.  I'll write you again soon.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment