Monday, April 25, 2011

October 28, 1953

Wed  Oct 28, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I stayed in yesterday morning till noon and then we rode out to where the troops wee. On the way I saw K Company going across the road and I thought I would look for Zink.  I saw him and he saw me.  I told him I would be down to see him one night.

We got out to where the troops were, it was about a 10 mile ride by road.  Went up on some big hill that I would call a mountain.  We had just finished with a class when a guy sitting about 10 feet from me picked up his M1 and stuck it in a guys side and fired it.  The guy jumped up and started yelling. The M1 had a blank in it and when the gun was stuck against his side it sounded like a cap gun when it went off.  Everyone thought he was just playing at first.  He wasn't hurt to bad but had bad enough.  It blew a big hole in his side and he had internal injuries.  The guy that shot him said he was just playing.  He was a corporal.  I didn't know either one of them.  They radioed for an ambulance and took him away.  That's the last I have heard about it.

We stayed out late last night and came back over the mountain trail.  It was sure dark.  I didn't have my big flashlight.  I had the little one you sent me.  It sure came in handy.

Yesterday morning I was eating some of the cookies and found the bottle of maple syrup in the bottom, I took it with me last night.  It tasted pretty good.

It has been sprinkling for quite a while now.  It stops for awhile and then starts again. 

We had two hours off this noon.  I didn't get any mail last night.  I don't know what we will do this afternoon.    I am going to try to go down to K Company and see Zink tonight.  I think I can get away.

I don't know whether or not I will be able to send anything for Xmas or not.  I hope I can.  I don't know whether or not I will be any place to get anything or not.  I am sure I will be paid this month.  I think Sat is pay day.  I have decided which pictures to send back from the ones you sent me.  I enjoy all of them but I don't have any place to keep them safe. 

Well it is about 6:30 PM now and its been raining all afternoon.  It has been coming down pretty hard.  We didn't do much of anything all day because it has rained.  We were supposed to fix up the area but we didn't get much done..  We have been working on the area building rock walls and fixing sand bags around the tents.  You would be surprised what they can do with sand bags, rocks and logs.

I didn't go down to see Zink tonight because of the rain.  I might go tomorrow night. 

There is going to be a show in the mess hall tonight.  I think I might go see it. Tonight will be a good night for sleeping. 

I got your letter dated Oct 22 this eve.  To bad you don't get some of the rain we are having tonight.  The floors are OK but one part of the tent wont quite reach over the ends.  We are going to have to cut our center poles off to make it stretch over.  We are making doors for them. 

Those pictures I sent for you to develop, some of them were taken in our company area.  You can see what kind of tents they are.  Right now there are 14 sleeping in our tent.  There should only be ten in the winter.  We got another tent in our platoon so when they change our squads around some of us will probably move into another tent.

Everything here is quiet.  We don't hear much about the war.  I think they might extend the truce for 90 more days.  I don't think it will start for awhile anyway.

I was glad to get Keith's address.  I will try to write him before long.

I went to the PX tonight and bought some envelopes and a carton of cigarettes.  So I am well supplied on smokes for awhile. 

Well don't know much more to say right now.  I went to the show and saw Law and Order.  I saw it once before in the states.  It's still raining out.  The tents leaks almost every place but where I am sleeping.  I hope it doesn't leak here tonight.  I am sending 100 yen that I got in Japan.  I have had it in my bill fold for a long time now.  Also an 10 yen copper.  It takes 360 yen to make a US dollars.  Well not much more to say now.  I guess I'll go to be.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment