Saturday, January 26, 2013

I digress

I was in a quandary on what to do with a bunch of Pilot Log books my dad had kept for many years.  They were almost a complete set of logs dating from 1944 when he began flying.  I hated to toss them out but was tired of moving them from place to place.  So while backing stuff to take to Tucson I thought that perhaps I could donate them to some organization like I did his letters from Korea (they rest with the Missouri Historical Society right now.)  I first tried the TWA Museum at the old down town airport, they were not interested, then to the Airline Museum across the field.  They were not interested either.  On a fluke I went to one of remaining pilot training centers close by and asked if anyone there would be interested in having them for nostalgia or historical purposes.  To make a long story short the owner of the flight training and charter service remembered Dad and said that he (dad) had given him his Check rides and that he was sure that dad had written his name in the logs.  He as them now.  When I got back to my house I noticed that a log book had fallen out of the box and as I was thumbing through it noticed a entry dated July 28, 1957.  I read "snapper's first flight."  I decided to hold on to that book.  All I remember of the flight was that we followed the path of the Ruskin Heights Tornado rebuilding project (a tornado ripped through Ruskin Heights on May 20, 1947, my birth day.)  I also remembered I got air sick and almost threw up.

No comments:

Post a Comment