Wednesday, July 13, 2011

January 19, 1954

I have to use stamps here (note: the envelope had an airmail stamp on it costing 6 cents)

Tuesday 19, Jan 54

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Right now it is about and I am on my way to Japan.  Yesterday I went up to the Bn at 1230 and they took me over to Regt S-3 at .  There were just 2 other guys going besides me.  One boy was going to a typing school.  It’s a 6 week course.  The other boy is going to the same school I am.

We are traveling first class.  We were taken to Seoul in a jeep.  We had reservations on the UN Express.  Went to Seoul then to Pusan.  I didn’t know what kind of train it was going to be.  I thought it would be a Korean train but it was a US Army train, a regular state side train.  It use to be a hospital train.  We had births with mattress, pillows, and sheets.  We walked around Seoul for a couple of hours.  I brought a couple of books that I had bought at the UN PX.  I also ate there.  We got on the train at and arrived Pusan at 7 AM.I slept fairly well but I could not get use to the bed and not being cold on it.  After we got to Pusan we ate breakfast at a place for Army personnel.  Boy, back down and around Pusan they sure live good.  They have regular bunks, sheets, pillows etc..  We got a bus then and went to the Pusan replacement center.  They processed us right away.  We turned in all our clothes and kept only our personal items.  They gave us all new clothes, our OD uniform, brass, patches, T Shirts, shorts, new fatigues, just our regular issued stuff but not quite as much because we will only be gone 2 weeks.  We also got the officer’s trench coat to wear.  All of this was done by .  We waited till and we got our shipping orders.  We ate lunch and then there were about 16 of us altogether all going to different places.  I thought we had been treated pretty good so far.  They put us on a buss and took us to the dock.  There we boarded the Sgt Muller a civil service ship.  It runs regular from Japan to Korea.  It is a small ship compared to the one I came over on.  When got on the ship they put us in compartments.  They were officer’s quarters.  4 men to a compartment. (state room)  Desk, private bath etc.  There are a few officers, some Belgium officers, civilians and that’s about all.  We ate in the officer’s mess.  Had our meals served on the tables for us and everything.  We had biscuits, hamburger steak, beans corn, coffee, ice cream, potatoes, and apples.  Every thing was number one.  I bought some things a the Sea Store and took a nice hot shower.  I can’t believe the army can treat any one as good as they have treated us. (note: after living in tents and being a private in a company setting near the front line, I can just imagine how he felt.  He really sounds impressed.)

We left about and docked in the morning a 730 AM in Sasebo.  From there we will go to Eta Jima by train most likely.  That just about covers it.  I have seen a lot of things so far.  I saw where the fire was at Pusan.  It sure cleared a big area out.

Before I left the company I got a letter from Arkie.  He is Pusan.  He said he tried to call me one time but couldn’t get through.  He gave me his number but I didn’t get a chance to call.  May be when I come back I can call or see him.  Maybe Don Underwood too.  He said he goes home in July and goes dancing 3 or 4 night a week.  There are a lot of GI women in Pusan.  Nurses etc.  Well I’ll close for now.  I’ll finish this letter later.

It is Wed night now.  We got to Sasabo, Japan about 830 this morning.  We have fooled around most of the day.  The weather is mild, not to cold but it has been raining most of the day.  We were here long enough to draw our bedding and make a bed and then they told us we were leaving.  We turned our stuff in.  I had my uniform pressed and patches and stripes sewed on.  I have my Regt crest on and I really feel dressed up.  I haven’t got any ribbons yet.  There are about 5 I can wear.  A Korean Campaign, UN, Asiatic, Presidential citation and a Korean Presidential Citation. 


 We are leaving at , one more hour so I will close.  We are going to Eta Jima on a train.  I sure have met some nice guys.  Seems I always meet the nicer guys when I travel or in school.  Don’t seem to have any in my out fit except one or two that I really like.  I lost a fatigue shirt and a dress shirt some place along the way.  I don’t know where they went to.  I’ll have to scrounge up some in my travels, you know me.  There are a lot of nice things in the PX here.  I think there are better items at Eat Jima though.  I saw some Northlake china for 45 dollars and shipping charges.  It had a green flower like print.  I may not be able to get it his time but I will on R&R.  I saw some pearls for $25 for 3 strands.  Will write tomorrow.
Love, Ted
I am enjoying myself. (note: sounds like it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment