Friday, June 17, 2011

December 17, 1953 (filed out of order)

Thurs  Dec  17, 1953  (note: filed out of order)
17 1840 I Dec53  (note: not sure what this is, looks sort of like the way the military dates things but not exactly.)

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got tons of mail tonight.  I had 3 letters from you, one from Jim, one from Margie, one from Lewellen.  I also got 6 Xmas cards.  From Martin, Jacques, Talcutt, McDonald, Mrs Jones and Don Cummings here in Korea.  Mrs Jones wrote a sweet note (note: if any of you remember Shepard’s Sporting Goods and alter called Shepard’s Men’ Ware, Mrs Jones was Shep’s foster mother.  They were long time family friends and members of the Dad’s church.)  and MacDonald.  I also got a kick out of Cecil’s care and note.

I just took time out to go to the show with Semonie.  We saw TV shorts.  The Luck Strike Hit Parade and the Bob Hope Show.  The Bob Hope Show was the one that was during the election.  He acted like Sam Spade The President.  Last night I saw the show “Ride Vaquero" with Robert Taylor. 
             

We had three test yesterday.  They were hard ones.  I just barely made it on demolitions.  I only got 37 out of 50.  The others were weapons, got 38 out of 40.  I kind of dropped down a little on those.  I have lost a total of 44 points altogether. 

Today I gave my second talk.  I made 37 out of 40.  I just missed 3 points on that.  I just have one more talk to give now.  I am going to give that one on the 60 mm mortar 

Every one in the tent got 3 gigs today.  They found ashes on the floor.

Glad to hear Snapper is doing OK in school  Does the teacher call him Conley?

So Frank Tucker got my letter.  Is he going to put it in the paper?  (note: Frank was the publisher and editor of the Inter City News.)   I didn’t say to much.  That type of letter is hard to write so it will sound OK. 

So you are proud of me making PFC.  Wait awhile and I will be corporal.  I hope any way.  This school is OK and I like it and like you said anything I learn will help me when I get out.  May be I will go back to Westinghouse and be a teacher or something.  You asked me about the weather.  The snow did not last long but it stays cold.  It gets down to 20 at night usually but it isn’t noticeable because we are out in it so much.  You said something about putting me in the Inter City News.  You don’t have a very good picture of me like that and you better wait till I finish school first.

This is the 3 Div NCO Academy.  The 5th uses this school.  They on send from 5 to 10 men a week to this school.  The rest are 3rd Div men.  This is a good school.  They teach a little further into the Army.  They teach why you do certain things.  It’s mostly a build up to be a squad leader and an instructor.  I may give a few classes when I get back to the company.
 
Jim said he was going to quit Kat's. (note. Well known drug store in the KC metro area, sort of like a CVS today.) about the 15 Dec but I think I will wait and see.  He gets big ideas.  You probably have noticed how he dreams.  If he goes into business he will probably make a go of it because he is a good salesman. (note: Jim did make a go of it, he was with Sam Waldon when Walmart was just beginning and retired very well off.)
     

Well I don’t know  much more to say for now so I will close.  I’ll try to write again tomorrow.  May Xmas
And lots of love,
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment