Wednesday, May 4, 2011

November 18, 1953

November 18, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad and Snapper

Well I got two letters last night and one today.  I didn't get a package.  It may get here later tonight.  I was glad to get Bill's address and I wrote him a letter and also had a letter from Jim and wrote him too.

I have been doing about the same thing as usual.  Yesterday morning I went out on detail to cut some logs.  We are making an arch in front of our company.  It will sure look nice.  Last night I was radio operator for the Field First and the Old Man.  Captain Book asked me last night what I thought about the NCO school.  I told him I would like to go.  He said I would probably go for an interview today at Bn.  I went this morning and the officer there said OK, so I guess I will be going before long.  May be this weekend or the next.  I hope to go this weekend so I wont have to go on maneuvers for 4 days.  That other deal I told you about is not as good as this and I didn't want it (note: he is talking about the Training NCO slot.)  That was the TIE.  That school was only for a week and it wasn't in my line and I think the captain knew I was going to this other school when he asked me about that.  My name was first on the list and I think he wanted to send me to that any way (NCO school)  It has more advantages to it. 

Your remember one time I said I did not get along with my platoon sgt very well.  Well he became field first and we have another plt sgt now.  The field first and I get along good now and he puts in good words for me.  I like him OK.  We just didn't click at first. (just like Adams and I)  I sure hated to see him leave the platoon. He was one of those Regular Army men with a lot of time in the army.  He came here after I did from the states and Germany.  He was a master sgt and got busted one stripe to sgt first class.  He will get his other stripe back before long.

Today I worked on the arch again and saw a move on the atom bomb.  Tonight I went to the aid station and got some pills and cough syrup (GI Gin)  for my cold.  Hope it gets it.  I don't want to go to that school with a cold.  That school will consist of 2 twenty minute talks, giving PT, close order drill etc.  I don't think it will be to hard.  I sure hope I can make a high mark in the class and not let the Old Man down.  He is only sending the ones he thinks will do good.  If I can rank close to the top of the class it will sure help me get promoted.  I don't think giving a class will be hard.  It is not that I would be scared, all I have to do is know what I am talking about and talk.  I wont have any trouble giving PT or close order drill.  The school is 4 weeks long.

Still haven't heard if I have made PFC or not.  I should know in the next few days.

I am glad you mailed a lot of packages to the Christmas Party.  They can use what ever you send. 

Did Don Underwood stop in Hawaii on his way over.  If he did he was lucky.  Send me his address as soon as yo can.  Sounds like I will be get a lot of Xmas packages.  I guess I can use them.  Most of the guys don't get many packages.  I haven't seen Carlin Talent yet. 

It is pretty cold any more  to be going any place.  He probably wont make it.  You say you think you missed a letter.  Did you get the one that I mentioned about the pipe tobacco mixtures 79.  You never did say in your letters. 

Boy, Junior must be big.  I sent him a Xmas card (note: Junior was one of my grandmother's sister's son who lived in Hutchinson, Kansas.  Junior went on to be a commercial pilot for Eastern Airlines.)

Well not much more to say now.  I'll write you again later.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment