Tuesday, May 3, 2011

November 14, 1953 enclosure

(note: this is a letter that was enclosed  with the one sent on Nov. 14.  It is from his friend Gary Sipes.  He was in that special school with Dad and the nephew of Dad's ROTC instructor.  Dad mentioned getting this letter several letters ago and I guess he wanted to save it, that is why he sent it home.)

Nov 6,  53

Dear Ted

Just a line to tell you I haven't forgotten about you.  Glad to hear that Cliff is so close to you.  I have been trying to find out where you were at but nobody seems to know.  I went to Seoul with a couple of my buddies last Sunday and we had quite a time.  Will tell you about it when I see you.  I looked all the way down there for the 5th RCT but didn't  see it.  We went on 33A. Are you on that road.  I am tent guard today so I thought I better drop you a line.  We have been digging on the hill everyday.  It sure does get tiresome.

I'm gunner on the 57 R.R now and made PFC the 24th of Oct. That isn't to bad.  We are going to have classes on mortars.

It is really getting cold here, how is it where you are.  The ROCKs are pulling guard  now so we only have it about once a week which is a lot better.  How do you like the winter uniforms.  What does Cliff have to say about Korea.  Tell him to write me f he has a chance.  They wont let us have beer here, toddy's or cokes now. I think I will get it later.  My wife still hasn't had the baby.  She should have it any time.

Do you all have wooden floors in your tents yet.  We are supposed to get ours soon.  Some of the tents now have them.  They only give us 2 1/2 gallons of fuel oil a day, so we have to take it easy.

Yes, I got a letter from my friend and didn't have any trouble with it.  I still haven't answered yet. (note: He is referring to the person that was assigned to write them in code and they were to answer back in code.  It was to keep in practice in case they ever needed it.  This is explained more on my other Blog called the Adventures of Conley McAnally, entitled Spy Dad I posted back in Oct of 2010)

I sure wish we could get together some time as I would like to see you.  I might have a chance .  If you ever get down this way stop by the 27th,  1st Ban. A co and I'll try to be here.  If I can find out where you are at I will try and come see you.  Don't catch to many Moshoes. HaHa.
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment