Friday, May 6, 2011

November 24, 1953

Tuesday  Nov  24

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I just got back about 2 hours ago.  We sure had quite a time.  We left our area Sunday or rather Mon morning at about 4 AM.  We have been of the move ever since.  Last night we stopped at about 6 PM and camped and got up this morning at 4 AM.  We were on the move all day today too.  I went up one hill and down the other.  I was the 4th platoon radio operator and went along with the platoon Sgt ahead of the rest of the mortars.  Because I was a radio operator I had to go a little more than the rest of the guys.  We ate C rations at  noon each day and they were cold.  No way to heat them up.  Our company were the aggressors against the 3 Div. 65 Regt.  We moved right through them and made them retreat all the way. 

Last night I got about 3 letters from you and one long letter from Evelyn with the picture of Larry and Mike.  It sure was a nice letter.  I haven't answered yet but I am going to.  I am to tired tonight but we get tomorrow off except for a rifle inspection tomorrow eve and the morning I can take a shower between 8 and noon.  So I should have time...I also got the nice Thanks Giving card, one with cake and another card, and one with cheese and crackers, candy and shaving lotion.  Thanks a lot.  The cookies were really good and I haven't got to the rest of it but I know it's good too.

Well I don't have much of anything else new, I will probably go to NCO School this Sunday.  They forward mail there now. 

It is nice Pop Sharp is staying with you now.  I guess he is lonesome.  Tell him hello and tell him I am going to learn to talk one of these days.  I remember one time he told me I should learn to talk. (note:  I have no idea who he is talking about.  I don't remember anyone staying with us while Dad was away.)

Well I am pretty tired and worn out so I think I will go to bed and I'll write tomorrow and try to answerer the letters you wrote.  Thanks for the boxes and everything.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment