Monday, May 9, 2011

November 20, 1953

(note: this letter was in another envelope for some reason and is being blogged out of sequence)

Nov 20, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I thought I would write a little tonight.  I didn't write one last night.  Yesterday I did the usual.  I worked in the area in the afternoon.  I went to the show last night and saw "The Girl Next Door" with June Haven and Dan Daily.

I haven't had much mail the last 2 days.  I got a letter form Dad.  Today we had the day off to get ready for our 4 day problem.  I guess we will leave tomorrow at 4 PM.  I haven't heard about going to school this weekend so I guess it will be next week.  We have to pack all of our clothes up and turn them into supply and then carry our sleeping bag in our cargo pack and our full field pack.  It is going to be hard to get all of my clothing in a duffel bag.

I went to the PX last night and bought some things.  They got a shipment in.  I got 6 cans of tobacco, a box of candy and a hand warmer.  I thought I would try it out.  They didn't have any  lighter fluid.  I will have to borrow some.  It's hard to get. 

It sure has been cold here the last few days.  It stays cold even in the day time now. 

We will go on our problem Sat and come back Tues or Wed.  I think I will take some writing paper with me and write a couple of letters.  I don't know whether the mail will come in tonight or not so I will wait and finish this letter later.--------The mail came in and I got  one letter from you.  It was dated Nov 14, 1953.

I have most everything ready to go now and I am just about ready to go to bed.  I don't know much to say.  I am sure getting tired of Korea.  There isn't anything to do here and it get pretty boring.  I sure feel bad sometimes when I wake up in the morning and get up in the cold and think about having to say here for another year.  It sure is discouraging.  It might not be so bad if there was something to do.  There isn't any place to go, no amusements and the shows only come to our company about once a week.  All you do is work and train and you don't get anything for it.  I'll sure be glad to get away from here.

I found out that they have me scheduled to leave here Jan 17, 1955 but I get discharged Feb 9, 55 so I will probably leave here Dec of 54, unless they change the present system.  I think they might.  Most of the GIs who are South of the 38th have it a little better.  There is more to do back there and they get a lot of the things we can't.

Well I guess I'll close for now.  I will try to write a letter tomorrow before I leave and a letter or two while I am gone.
Lot of Love, Ted

2 comments:

  1. What a lousy war that was. And everyone who was there mentioned the cold. Augh! Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ought to only have wars where the weather is nice.:)

    ReplyDelete