Monday, May 2, 2011

November 12, 1953

.  Thurs  Nov. 12, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I didn't get but one letter last night and it was Mrs. Sears (note: my mother's mother.)  It was a nice letter.  Didn't have much to say.  She said she had wrote a book and had it published. (note: it was called Let Me Speak.  She wrote and published it while she was bed ridden with a broken hip and Lupus)  I haven't had any mail yet but it should be here before long.

Today we have been training as usual.  We started wearing our pile caps instead of our helmet liners.  Winter is the same as here now.

This afternoon we had a big parade.  Bigger than any I have been in here at the 5th.  They had all the jeeps, tanks, artillery etc. in it.  It was a big deal.  I snowed a little while it was going on.  I wouldn't doubt it if it snowed tonight.  Well that is about all that is new here.

I like the new toothpaste you sent.  It sure cleans  teeth nice.  I think I will go to the show tonight at Easy Company they are showing "Rouges March."  Sounds like it would be good.

Sure wish they would sign the truce and start sending troops home before winter sets in.

 It is sure going to get cold.  I have picked up a little cold.  Seems like it gets a little worse each day.  I hope I can shake it before  it get to bad.  You know how hard it is for me to get rid of a cold.

I hope you get the presents I sent from IX Corps before Christmas.  I want to send some more things if I can get a chance but don't know yet.  If I don't I will send them when I go on R&R.  I probably wont go before Feb or March. 

May be we will move to Hawaii this spring.   Things look pretty bad in Trestn (note: I can not make that word out as of yet.)  You can never tell what will happen any more.  Well I guess I will close  till I come back from the show and may be I will have some mail by then.---------Well I just got back from the show.  I saw "Rouges March."  It was and English picture.  It was just fair. 

I had three letters and a Westinghouse paper when I came back.  The letters were dated 4,6,7 Nov.  I got the pictures.  I wrote back what they were and I am sending them right back.  I may pick up the pictures that I had taken in Seoul when I go back sometime.  I don't think they are to good.  I never did see them though.

Whatever you sent in the Xmas box will be OK for me.  You always have good taste.  I will be glad to get it.  I usually pass my boxes around a little any way so there wont be to much in them to lay around.  Also what ever you send for the children here at the Xmas party will be OK.  Thank Mr Sharp and Mrs Stafford.  You don't have to send much but what ever you send it will be a big help.  Also thank Evelyn and Harley.  The Old Man might not know where they are from if you name isn't on the packages but it wont make any difference.  He will be glad to get them.

You sure have a lot of trouble with Snapper's jacket. (note: I use to forget it at school for some reason.)  but I guess if he likes it is worth it. 

I don't know how the boy is that got shot.  You never hear about anyone when they leave the company.  He was in bad shape.

I have a flash light and I get my battery's from the commo tent.  I use my little light to.  Don't worry about the camera.  I will probably buy a good one one of these days.  They are plenty cheap here.  So far I haven't needed any razor blades and I don't think they are hard to buy.  I have some that Jim gave me when I left home.

We don't have any light in our company as of yet and I don't think we will get any for a while anyway.  Some company's have them.

They say or mortar was damaged when the moved last time and hasn't been replaced yet. 

The instant coffee will be OK.  So far we haven't had much coffee at night in our tent but we might later on.  I always like it.

So you had some snow.  You are ahead of us.  I didn't understand what you said about voting democrat next time.  What is wrong with the Republicans, not that I don't think it is OK but why the change of mind. 

I enjoyed looking over the Westinghouse paper and seeing some old faces.  Well I have about run out of things to say.  I don't know much of anything more or what we will be doing tomorrow.  I will write again soon.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment