Monday, May 2, 2011

November 11, 1953

Wed Nov 11, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I thought I would write a line today.  I didn't write Monday night and last night we had a night problem.  Monday I got 2 letters and another package from you.  The cookies sure were good and so was the bottom of t I the can.  I got the film and Kane will take some pictures soon and send them to you.  I got another letter just now.  Let me know when you send the Xmas box for the kids and who to and what was in it.

They sure had some bad car wrecks in KC.  Guess they will always have them.

You must have a lot of trouble with that cat climbing trees.  You will be able to climb up and getting him better than I can climb hills.

Monday I went out on the range.  I did about the same thing this time as I did last time, except they were machine guns at us instead of M1. 

Monday night I went to the show and saw "Down Among the Sheltering Palms" and "Glory Brigade." Sunday night I was a radio operator on the night problem.


It sure has been cold here the last few days.  It gets below freezing every night now and doesn't warm up to much during the day time.

I have been guarding the two prisoners to day, all day, and I am right now.  They are putting doors on the platoon CP while I am writing this letter.  One is going to get 18 months and the other at least 5 years.  Their court marshal is coming up soon.  I'll be glad because I am sure getting tired of guarding them.

I got a letter from Gary Sipes.  He is a gunner in a 57 recoiless rifle now and he made PFC.  They don't have floors in their tents and only get 2 1/2 gal of oil a day for their stove.

The medics sprayed the floor today for mites and fleas that the rats carry.  Sure smelled things up.  Reminded me of when I  was an exterminator.  I could show them a few things.

All most anything can happen around here.  They started burning the dead grass and bushes off the hill in back of us  awhile a go, and some 30 cal rounds were there and when the fire hit them they started going off.  Sure made a racket.  They wouldn't hurt anyone because they didn't go off with a force but it gives you a funny feeling.

Well that is about all I have right now..  I'll finish the letter this evening.------Well it is about 8:15 now.  Nothing new and no mail came in so I guess I will close for now.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment