Monday, May 9, 2011

November 29, 1953

Sunday Nov 29, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Now I am at the 3rd Div NCO Academy.  I got here about 3 PM today.  It's not far from the 5th RCT.  I don't know much about this place yet.  This is the first letter I have written since Thanks Giving.

Friday I stayed in and worked in the area.  Friday night I went to the show and saw "Hans Christian Anderson."  It sue was a good picture.

 Sat we had an inspection and that's about it.

The Old Man sure has his eye on me.  When he came up to me in the ranks he asked me who the Bn Commander was and who the exec officer was.  I told him.  I was the only one he asked in our platoon.  He just wanted to see if I knew.

Sat night I was on Bn guard so I didn't get a chance to write.  This morning I packed all my clothes and stuff up and left the Co at 1 PM to go over the Regt HQ to come to school.  I think I will like it here OK.  There are about 1000 men here all the time.  They talked to us a little bit and also a Major has.  I saw Guthemiller.  He is in the tent across from me.  He is in his second week now.  I will have some one to help me out when I need it.  At least for 2 weeks.  I will be here for 4 weeks.  The food is good.  They have a good PX, showers, beer hall, barber shop, laundry, tailor, etc.  I think it will be OK after I am use to it.  They told us that if you are high ranking or out standing in your class you will get a promotion.  If I can do that I will be a corporal and then I would have a good chance to make Sgt.  About the hardest part for me will probably be the classes.  But I thin I can get around that if I try hard enough and know the truth (note: I think Dad might have been referring to a portion of his religious up bringing as a Christan Scientist.  He was taught in Church that "You shall know the truth and truth shall set you free.") This is the same as leadership in the states except you get 8 weeks in 4 week and they say it is better.  I am glad I didn't go in the states now. 

I still have my cold and I am trying to get rid of it.  I haven't take anything for it since last weekend.  It doesn't seem to help anyway. (note: if he is trying to get rid of it and not taking anything for it--hint of the Christian Scientist comeing out again.) I had a few letters from you and also that news clipping.  I enjoyed reading them , also the picture of Jim Rountree.  Is that Massie boy married now and out of the army.  Did you know the boy who found the Raccoon.  Tell Snapper to write good and draw some more pictures of soldiers. (note:  I use to draw pictures of solders marching and send to him.)  That was nice of Mr. Sharp to give you a box of candy. You might take some of my money and buy Jim and Rosalie something for Xmas.  I will try to send some money back but I don't know yet. 

I am glad that Westinghouse is expanding.  You should go for that job dad.  May be you will have Jessie's job before long.  It is nice you get some extra time off for the holidays.  They should get more. 

I don't know what I want to do when I come home.  I would like to do somethig worth while.  It dosen't seem to me that there is much futre at the plant for me.  Seems like the older men get the breaks and it would take me to long to get a good job that would pay faily good money.  I still have a long time to think about that anyway.  I should have been saving more money than I have for the last few years.  I guess you could call what I got out of my car as saved. 

Well don't have much more to say .  I have a big day tomrrow so I will clsoe for now.  I'll wrtie more about the school as I go along. 
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment