Thursday, May 5, 2011

November 22, 1953

Sun  Nov  22,  53

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

How are you doing?  Right now I am laying in a pup tent writing this letter.  Yesterday we didn't have anything to do but pack our stuff and lay around all day.  We left the company about 5 PM last night and drove for about an hour to where we are now.  Yesterday it was cloudy and cold all day long.  It was down to freezing most of the day and the wind made it plenty cold.  It was dark when we got here and started setting up our tents.  I thought it would be cold sleeping but it was warm in that sleeping bag and on the air mattress.

I am going to be the radio operator for the platoon on the problem that starts tomorrow.  I am sleeping with the medic today and it warmed up some.  We are right up on the line.  We can see Joe Chink's Hill in the distance.  The hill is covered with snow.  The hills here are almost mountains.


It rained and sleeted here last night but it did not bother us much.  We are wearing our parkas now and they are sure warm.  I have had my long underwear on and wool sweater and my fatigues.  I didn't bring anything in my field pack but a wool shirt and 2 pairs of socks.  It is not to heavy that way.

This problem starts about 6:30 in the morning.  The 5th RCT is the aggressor army (enemy) in a 3rd Div problem.  I guess we will be on the move all day tomorrow and Tuesday.  We should be back Tues night.

I guess I will be going to the NCO school next Sunday the 29th for 4 weeks.  I'll probably be there Xmas.  I sure hope I can make good there as it will help me get promoted. 

I shouldn't be to far away from going on R&R the way they have been going lately.  May go sooner than I think.  Feb or sooner.  I'll probably go twice while I am here if I have to stay another year. 

We should get our mail here.  Some tonight I think.  I just got a letter from Jim the other day telling about that new job he is thinking about.  Septic tanks or something like that.

I am glad Snapper is doing good in school.  Hope he keeps it up.  He will be in the 2nd grade when I get home.  I haven't been able to get him anything for Xmas yet.  Take some of my money and buy him something.  What ever you want.  Also same for you and Dad.  Buy some clothes and toys.  When I get to Japan I will send something too.  Well I think I will close for now.  I probably wont get to mail this till I get back to the company.  If I get a chance I will write again.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment