Monday, May 9, 2011

November Thoughts

November Thoughts

It seems to me that Dad was doing well and adjusting the first part of the month but as the holidays, Thanks Giving in particular, approached he started getting down in the dumps.  GI Blues is common they say.  I still am amazed at how many of his friends in the neighborhood were in the army and how many seemed to be around where he was.  I guess Korea was not that big and most of the draftees were scattered along the front.  It also sticks out to me how much letters and packages meant to him and how hungry he was for news from home.

It will be over a year before he comes home probably and discharged and already he is wondering what he will do when he gets out of the army.  Some times the army I have noticed from my own accounts sort of make you do stupid things you think just to keep you busy.  This is done on purpose I suspect to keep the young soldiers especially from thinking to much. 

As usual I have not read ahead and don't know how he does in the NCO School (which seems to have lifted him out of his blues or depression for the time being) nor do I know how Christmas away from home will work on his mental state.  Remember he is only 25 and this is really the first time he has been away from home.  I was 55 before I spent a Christmas alone, everyone ought to do it at least once in their life. 
Many GIs before Dad spent long periods and many holidays away from home, he certainly wasn't the first and unfortunately wont be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment