Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Letters to Dad

When I open envelopes from Dad, now and then I come across letters that were sent to him by others that he wanted to save.  He had mentioned that he did not save letters sent to him by my grandparents (which would have been interesting if he would have) because he didn't have room.  However several he received while in Korea he sent home so my grandparents would save them.  I have blogged one letter like that,  here are two more I just came across.


Sept 2, 1953

Dear Ted

Well I am betting you are thinking why I never wrote sooner.  Well I went to leadership for 3 weeks and boy that was plenty for me so I dropped out and went down to the 507 for about a week before I got my orders.  Well I am pretty darn happy where I am now.  I am assigned to Ft. Lewis, Washington.  I am in the a TO&E out fit.  All we do is train and train but we are able to live off post and I brought my wife and car back here.  If we ever go any place it will be to Alaska for three months and we will come right back unless another war starts.

Ge Ted I wish you would have come to Leadership School with me and we could have dropped out together. We would still be together.  I sure miss the the good times we had. Well may be after we both get out of the service we can get together again.  Guess where I am, I am on guard so I have time to write a letter.

Say, remember Livingston and Gillard, they both were in the second platoon.  Well they went to Division Training Facility at Camp Roberts and were on the rifle committee.  You know Camp Roberts is closing.  Well the last of the trainees went though the rifle training and the two guys were assigned up here in the same Bn I am.  I ran into them the other night.  Funny how you run into two guys you thought you would never meet again.  I sure wish you were here with me but you might have a pretty good dear where you are.

I am sending this letter to your mom.  I hope she sends it on to you.  Please write as soon as you can Ted.  I would like to hear where you are and how you are getting along.
Your Buddy Martin

This is my address:
Pvt Wilford O. Martin
US 17335090
Co C, 123 Inf. Reg
44 Div.  Fort Lewis Washington

(note:  Martin was Dad's best friend in basic training.  I have wondered if they would stay in contact.)


Sept 24, 53

Dear Mac

Sure was glad to hear from you.  Yes we sure did get split up.  I never saw you after we got off the landing craft.  We were lost all that night and we got to the 25 Rept about 8 in the morning.  I went from there to the 27 Wolfhound Regt.  We are a line company.  I am in the 1st Bn, Able Company.  We are about 3 miles from the front.  At the present time we are the reserve unit and we are digging positions in the mountains behind us.  I am in a 57 recoiless rife squad.  At the present time I am an ammo bearer and carry a carbine.  By the end of the month or the beginning of next month I will be a gunner or asst gunner or even squad leader, the two guys ahead of me are going home.  Then I will carry a .45. 

We have to pull guard duty about every 4th night.  It is a bitch.  I sure do miss the gang.  I was on guard last night and this morning so I have the rest of the day off.. It is kind of warm so I opened me up a can of beer.  We get a case or 2 a week a piece.  I am turning into a drunkard. 

I can't explain to you exactly where I am at because I don't even know myself.  I haven't heard from any of the other fellows yet.  They had another USO show last night, it was all colored people so I didn't go.  I saw the same USO show that you saw.  The one where they played the electric guitar.  It was pretty neat.

Are you near any towns?  I haven't seen one since the night we came here.  The rest of the squad went to Seoul last Sat, but since I had guard I didn't get to go.

A couple came down with VD in the other Co so that ends that.  Well Mac I guess I will close for now and finish my beer and may be another one.  Write soon and send the other guys addresses if you have any.  After we find each other we may be able to get together some weekend and visit.  There should be at least two of us near each other.  So long for now MAC and write soon.

Your Buddy, Gary

Pvt Gary D. Sipes
US55337895
Co A, 27 Inf Regt
APO 25% PMSF

(note:   Dad has mentioned Sipes several times in previous letters.  They were in that special school they went to and Sipes was the nephew of Dad's ROTC instructor when he went to Northeast High School.)

No comments:

Post a Comment