Tuesday, May 3, 2011

November 14, 1953

Saturday  14 Nov 53

Dear Folks

I had kind of a slow day today.  I was on Bn guard last night.  I didn't do anything this morning and this afternoon we didn't do anything either.  I got my new boots before I went on guard last night and wore them.  They sure keep your feet warm.  Shouldn't have any trouble this winter.  We drew some more clothes today.  I got a parka, liner, field pants with liner.  Sure have a lot of clothes now.  Will probably wear them before long.  We also got mittens.

I bought some new Xmas cards last night.  I have 22 now and I don't need but just a few more.  I think I will send them out about the first week in Dec.  I send them to almost everyone.  Send me JQ's address and also James Glover's address and anyone else you think I should send one to.  I am sending one to Sharp and McDonald and a few others.

I took a roll of film yesterday.  I might send the roll to you as it is hard to get them developed here. 

Some Greek Soldiers have been coming around selling ornaments the last few weeks.  I don't know where they get them but they have a lot of them, I think they are to high.

I went to see Zink tonight.  He didn't have much to say.  About the same old line.  I guess next Sat the 21st we are going on a 4 day problem in the field.  I sure hate to because it's getting colder.  I hope they call it off.  I probably wont get to write much while I am away so don't be surprised if you don't get a letter for a few days.

Some of the guys just came back from R&R in Japan and they sure bought some nice stuff to send home.  There is a list of things I want to get and send home.  I hope I can before long.  I think may be March.
Zink is behind only 133 guys and I got here just a little after him so I should not be that far away from going.  Sometimes they send you to Hong Kong China for you R&R if you want to go but I think mostly that is for Sgts and Officers.  I would sure like to go there.  It would be better than Japan.

Well I think I will close now and finish up tomorrow night.  I got a letter by the way tonight dated Nov 8.  What was that pictures "Blowing Wild" about, was it a western.  Thanks for send the packages for the kids  They will enjoy it a lot.---------

Well no letter came in today or tonight either so I guess I will finish this letter.  Last night I went down to Zink's and talked to him (I guess I told you about that)  This morning I got up and ate breakfast.  I fooled around this morning and addressed some Xmas cards.  After lunch I went over to the Triple Nichol and saw that friend of mine, Don Cummings.  There was another kid there from KC who knew Jim Prather from KC and gave me his address.  I wrote to him awhile ago.  Jim told this guy to look me up.  He didn't know at first I was the guy Jim had told him about till we started talking.  Jim Prather is one of the guys that was with me at Alameda.  I came back this afternoon and haven't done anything.  It's been cloudy and cold all day. 

Guthmiller left for the NCO Academy today.  I hope I hear something before long.  I should hear about  PFC tomorrow some time.  I hope I make it.  It means a little more a month besides being my first stripe.

I guess the whole 5th RCT is going on this 4 day bivouac net Sat.  The Triple Nichol (that is the field artillery for the 5th) is going and so is the 3rd Bn, so I guess it is going to be a big thing.  I hear we are going to be the enemy force for the 3 Div. 

Well don't know much more to say.  I will write again tomorrow night.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment