Saturday, May 7, 2011

November 25, 1953

Wed 25 Nov 53

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

How is everything at home.  I went to bed fairly early last night.  I still have a cold and is a little worse than it was before.  Today I went to the Bn aid station and go something for it.  I got a shot.  They don't give them out to much.  I hope I can get rid of it before I go to the NCO school because I will sure need my strength and my voice. 

We haven't done anything all day.  I took a shower this morning for the first time in 2 or 3 weeks I think.  That is one of the bad things about this place.  This afternoon I cleaned my pistol for inspection and got ready for inspection. 

I was told today that I am a PFC now.  The Sgts told me. I had better get some more before I leave here.  I think may be I can make Sgt before I leave here if I do good at the school.

The cookies were #1.  I finished those already and also some of the spice cake.  I woke up once during the night and got hungry so I reached my hand out of my sleeping bag for the cookies and finished them.  All the boys in the tent say you are sure a good cook and know how to make cake and cookies.

I got some film for my camera and I am going to take some more pictures.  Guthmiller is getting some of the 120 film developed at the NCO school.  I should get them back before long.

I just got a letter from you mailed Nov 19.  I guess the mail does slow up quite a bit.  I write every chance I get but once in a while I don't write everyday, but almost.  The weather is cold most all the time lately until today.  I warmed up quiet a bit since this morning.  You could go out in your t-shirt.  We have tomorrow off and we are supposed to have a big dinner tomorrow for Thanks Giving.

No I haven't seen Carlin yet.  What did you say he headed his letter as.  The area map of here that I saw yesterday was the Chipo-Ri (Re) valley.  I think I saw the name of the place he is and he wasn't to far.  I guess I was as close to Joe Chink as I  ever have been and hope to be while I am here.  I could see the hills where their trenches and bunkers are.  Their hills had snow on them (note: On the night problem he just returned from I guess took him to the front lines where he could see into North Korea.  The term Joe Chink is a slang term the GIs used to describe the Chinese and North Koreans.)

It is nice that Mr. Sharp could stay with you for awhile.  I have his name on one of the Xmas cards I have.  I haven't mailed them yet.  I think I will wait for awhile.  I got a kick out of what you said about Mr. Sharp going to church.  He sounded like he has been in the army the way he made the excuse.  (note:  this Mr Sharp thing is really getting to me.  I asked mom about him and she can't remember anything about him other than a faint recollection of the name but she associates it with a lady, which might be correct because I surmise that Mr. Sharp's wife has just died.)

Isn't Mrs Peek going back to Calif to live (note: don't know who she is either.)

I can't remember the name of the China I looked at.  I think I know what you want now.  They will probably have more in Japan.  Was that Violette you spoke of, was that like something pink and dainty.

I enjoyed reading in the Star about the Turkey for Xmas.  Turkey wouldn't be much of a treat for us.  We have  turkey and chicken a lot.  It doesn't taste as well as it does at home.  A good steak would be better.

I enjoyed the letter Snapper wrote.  Looks like he is doing pretty good with his reading and writing.

I hope the kidnappers get what they deserve.  I haven't read all the clippings you sent yet.

I hope I can save some money while I am here.  The money I put in Soldiers Deposits will draw 4% till I get out of the army.  I can't be able to get t out except in an emergency.  So I will probably have it for quiet awhile.  I am going to try and put some in every month.  I don't need much money except for R&R and I think I can save some each month for that and if I need any more I could have you send some of the money I have from home.  A PFC draws 109 a month over here.  I should be able to put a least half of it away.  I don't know when the promotion went in to effect so don't know how much I will get this month.

There has been a lot of talk about making this tour 12 months rather than 16.  I hope so.  There sure isn't anything for us here at least any place north of the 38th.  All the rear troops have everything easy.  Good quarters, house boys, all the PX items and the best food just like that article said in the Star.

How come you are not going to be with Evelyn and Harley this year. (note: This Evelyn is my grandmothers foster sister, not to be confused with an Evelyn mentioned now and and then that was her biological sister.)
You didn't say in your letter.  You always were with them for Thanks Giving, Xmas.

We got some new GIs in the company from the states.  I thought may be it would be the group that came with Don but they came from Ft. Lewis.  We will be getting a lot of replacements before long.  The old timers are starting to rotate out now.  It sure makes you feel good seeing them go home.  The more that leave now and then will make it sooner for us.

Well don't have much more to say so I'll close for now.  I'll write you another letter again tomorrow and tell you about our lives.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment