Monday, May 16, 2011

December 3, 1953

Dec 3, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got a letter and a package from you tonight.  The cookies wee really good.  I was glad to get Lewellen's address.  I wrote to him a while back but haven't heard from him.  He said he was in the 65th Rgt.  They are just down the road about 3 miles. 

Today was a fairly good day.  We just had classes.  Yesterday was a real day.

About 4 PM a major came to our class and asked for 12 people to go on a raid on a camp just outside of the school area.  He said it may be a communist group or guerrilla outfit.  I think about everyone raised their had to go.  I was one of the guys who got selected.  We got 4 clips of ammo and left.  I knew that they had some money and clothes stolen in our camp area and other GI stuff.  Also women had been found going in and coming out of GI tents in the night making money off the boys.

We slipped up to where the camp was ans spread out in a line.  We attacked the camp and moved in.  Another guy and I were the first ones there and we ran up on some one laying on the ground covered up with blankets.  We held our rifles on them and hen took hold the blanket with our other hand and pulled it off.  There were two moosie (note: Korean women) sleeping there.  We liked to scared them to death.  After they calmed down they thought we had come up to see them but the Major showed up.  We searched the mossie or GI money, they had all kinds in the blanket.  We also caught a Japanese boy running away.  The other squad caught 3 mossie one Korean civilian boy and another one got away.  We took the 5 mossies and the other two back to camp.  The major said the boy could be a red agent and he would let us know if they could find anything out.  It was an interesting experience and I will probably always remember it. (note: he might have always remembered it but he never mentioned it later in life, at least not to me.)

Well last night I went to the show and saw a fairly good pictured with Guthmiller.  Tonight I got a haircut and my laundry and took some more shirts to be tailored.  I got guard tomorrow night - I will be on the gate. 

Well I guess that's about all I know for now.  I'll try to write again later.  I got a letter from Jim Prather tonight also.  That lets me know where everyone is except Reynold and Thiderman.
Love, Ted

PS: The cookies were really good, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment