Tuesday, March 29, 2011

September 17, 1953

Thursday  Sept 17, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I thought I had better write a line.  The last letter I wrote was Sunday.  I still haven't received any mail yet.  Shouldn't be to long till I do.

Monday and Tuesday we went out to the range and pulled targets.  It rained most of the day and evening.  Not hard though.  I went to the show Monday night and sat out in my rain coat.  It drizzled all night.  No body seemed to mind it.  I saw Every Minuted Counts.  Tuesday night I didn't do anything.  Wed morning I helped dig a place to put a rock wall.  They are going to put up a Quonset hut for the kitchen and mess hall.  I got off a noon because I was on guard.  I guarded an area where they have classes, etc.  They have trouble with Korean civilians stealing here.  We carry live ammunition.

I saw a big owl last night riding in the jeep from my post.  It stood almost 3 feet high.  It was sure big.

They got a shipment in for the PX last night.  I bought some Old Spice shaving lotion and a flash light.  I took a pair of pants down to a Korean tailor and had him sew creases in my pants.  If I get a chance I am going to have my shirt tailored.  Remember how my kackies fit when I was home.  That's how they wear their fatigues over here.

I had this morning off till noon because of guard.  I didn't get to do that in the states.

I heard something about new troops that were in Korea only had to stay a year.  I hope so.  I think this Singmon Ree doesn't want this war to end or the troops to leave because they have it better now than they ever did.  They make a fortune in town on what they sell.  They are higher than Japan.  They try to charge a dollar for shoe polish.  We can't get it in the PX and they know it.

The ROCK soldiers when they come into our outfit don't even have boots.  All they have is tennis shoes.  Then they don't do anything till we give them a pair of boots.  None of the guys like them to well.  They don't appreciate what we have done for them.  They don't work and we are feeding them and keeping them in clothes and they still want more. 

In the ROCK camps and most all civilians eat what they call Kem-she.  I haven't seen any of it but from what the guys say it must be awful stuff.  Rice, fish, greens, onions, garlic and it green like in color and its thick like mush.

It is warm this morning.  Its been cool lately.  They gave us winter sleeping bags.  New ones.  They are sure nice.  They are arctic sleeping bags.  They are filled with water fowl feathers and down.  They have zippers on them and the material is quilted.  I sleep in my shorts and I almost sweat without the zipper zipped up.  So this winter I shouldn't get cold and stay pretty warm.

If you send any packages you should put what ever you send in a strong box.  I think you can buy cardboard boxes for that purpose.  Some of the guys have been getting packages from home and they are pretty well beat up when they get here.  I can't think on anything I want.  I would like to have my zipper boots sent.  If you send them put a can of shoe polish in there and a t-shirt, some black shoe polish and cordovan.  No need to send it air parcel because it would cost to much.

Well how is Snapper getting along in school.  Hope OK.

One of the guys just came in and he got some mail so I might get some the next day or two.  I will sure be glad to get some.   Well not much more to say now.  I'll write soon.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment