Saturday, March 26, 2011

September 10, 1953

Thursday Sept 10, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

How is everything at home.  I haven't done much of anything.  Yesterday I laid around in the tent and wrote some letters. Yesterday afternoon we got to see a USO show.  It was Jess Williams Western Variety Show.  It was pretty good.  They had the same show last night.   Where they have the shows is just in back of us over the hill.  I went last night and saw the same show.  They had about 4 girls in it.  They played and sang.

This morning we went out and had PT for about an hour and then had classes on the M-1.  We have PT an hour a day.  That is more than we had in basic.  We only had PT 2 or 3 times a week.

I sure get plenty of sleep.  I went to bed last night at 8:00.  There isn't much to do after it gets dark.

Next week we go out on the rifle range and fire.  Soon as things get straightened out I'll turn in my M-1 for a carbine or a 45 pistol.  If you are in the Mortar Section that's all you carry.  Right now I am low man on the squad but they move around a lot so I might be gunner or assistant gunner before long.

They don't seem to talk much about the war.  About 85% of the guys were here when the fighting was going on.  They haven't had hardly any causalities.  They held part of the line by themselves since the war started.  So they are a pretty good team.  I think their record here is better than anywhere.

We have Korean ROCK soldiers here.  Each squad has one or two, so there isn't to many that can't talk anything but Korean and the GI's talk to them and they don't seem to understand a lot, but know all the cuss words.  Even then they don't know what the words mean.  When someone tells them to do something or talks to them, whether it is an officer or not they  just say cuss word.  Everyone gets a kick out of them and they tease them a lot.

It wont get cold until next month or late November.  That's when it starts snowing.  They are going to start winterizing the tents before long.

We just finished lunch.  We had fish, potatoes, beans, salad, bread and peanut butter, apple sauce, pie and coffee.  That's not to bad.

I guess I wont have a chance to buy any Xmas presents to send home unless we leave here or they bring something in to buy.  The PX just has things you need.

About the only problem here is trying to keep clean.  We can take a shower about twice a week.  We can turn our pair of underwear in once a week for clean ones if they have any.  I am glad I have my extra pair.  I am going to try and wash my own clothes because all the ones I have now fit me and if I turn them in I might get any size.

Well I have to fall out in a minute so I guess I will close for now.  I'll write more later on today.

(later)

We had a parade this afternoon, band and all.  They awarded some metals to some people.  That's about all we did today.  I just finished dinner and tonight I think I will go take a shower. 

I traded my M-1 for an automatic carbine.  I also got a pistol belt instead of a cartridge belt.  I traded my bayonet for a knife or a small bayonet for use on a carbine.  I don't have to much weight right now to carry around.

At the present time there is not to much of anything I need.  Do you remember those garters you sent me at Camp Roberts?  They were elastic and adjustable and you can hook them together.  I could use  a pair of those.  You can just send them in an envelope with a letter.

I hope you get my mail OK.  I haven't had any yet.  It sure made me mad that they would not give me any at Sasebo.  I haven't had any sense I got off the ship at Port Sasebo.

What do you hear from Margie and Jim and everyone.  I am going to write Lowell one of these days.  Do you ever hear from him?

One thing they are short of here is shoe polish.  You can't hardly get it but one in a while.  It doesn't do to much good to polish your boots because it is so dusty.

Did I tell you the dates that I got here.  It was September 7 on a Monday when I arrived at Inchon.  That would be labor day I think and I got to the 5 RCT on 8th the next day.  I haven't got a patch yet.  It is red and is shaped like a bird house with a white border.  It has five sides to it. 

Well I don't know to much yet.  Read the papers you might see something about the 5th RCT, 2nd Battalion, Company G.  If you ever do let me know.

I will try to write often because I know you wonder what I am doing.  Don't worry about me because it is easy going here.  Did Snapper ever get the jacket I sent?  Let me know.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment