Tuesday, March 22, 2011

September 3, 1953. Sasabo, cont...

....continued

We might be here a while yet.  A new bunch came in to day.  I was on detail this morning.  I cleaned up the day room.  That is better than having to drill or do physical training.  Reynolds and Zink got on a detail to take laundry to town.  They got to stop and drink beer.  Wish I could get a detail like that. 

We got our names turned in for a pass.  I might not get one thought.  They only give out so many a night.

We just got done with diner.  We had ice cream.  The seem to have plenty of that.  The food is better than we have had in the states.  Well not much more right now.  I'll finish this letter later on.

Well we all got our orders this afternoon.  Zink is going to a Chemical, Biological Warfare School at Eta Jima. The school is a 2  week course.  All of the rest of us are going to a different Division.  Thiederman 409 Div, Prather 45 Div, Kozbo 2 Div, Reynolds 7 Div, Lewellen 3 Div, and I am going to the 5 Div.  I am not really sure about mine yet.  Sipes is going to the 25 Div.  We were all putt out about getting spread out.  Nothing we can do about it because of our school.

We are going to turn in our clothes tomorrow.  Tonight we bought some watermelon and peaches.  They were sure good.  I bought Snapper a jacket.  It is a medium.  I sure hope it fits him.  I thought it would be nice for him to wear to school.  It cost me 3 dollars at the PX and 80 cents to mail it.  I thought it would be nice for him.  Let me know about it.  If he can't wear it sell it or keep it for a souvenir.  If it is to big save it for him for next year.  Well Zink and I are going to play some checkers.  I will write tomorrow.

Friday September 4, 1953.  Well didn't do to much today.  I worked up around the mess hall today.  We cleaned the walls off on the outside.  It rained most of the day so we sat in the mess hall and drank coffee.  This afternoon and evening we played poker. 7 card stud.  I won about 10 dollars.   Zink left about 5 o'clock this even.  I sure hated to see him leave.  In fact I hate to be split up from all the guys.  We get along swell and have a lot of fun.  It's 9 PM now and we have to go turn in our clothes now.  I think we will leave sometime tomorrow.

I believe I am going to the 5th RCT - not a Div at all.  It is a Regimental Combat Team.  Then an out fit from there.  I don't know my new address yet.  I'll write it as soon as I can.

They had mail cal the other night but they quit before they got to the M's.  Hope I get some before I leave here.

Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment