Friday, March 4, 2011

Aboard the USNS Meigs-part 3

...continued from August 20, 1953

I went to the Sea Store today and bought a carton of cigs and a box of cheese-it crackers.  It is funny how cheap different things are.  Everything that has a lot of tax is cheaper.  Just think cigarettes are 8 cents a package.  Well that is about all today.  I am going to bed.  I have to get up at 4 am for KP.  We sat our watches back another hour.  That makes 3 hours now.  I think we have travelled about 1500 miles.  Maybe be and maybe not.  The ship has turned a little more south today for some reason.

I didn't get a chance to write yesterday.  Today is Sat the 22 of August.  It's 2:30 pm here.  At home it would be 7:30 pm.  There is five hours difference between here and K.C.  Last night we sat our watches back again.

Didn't do much yesterday.  Went on KP about 4 am and stayed on till about 2:30 pm.  After that I took a shower and washed up some of my clothes.  I had a headache so I layed down around 5 and didn't get out of bed till about 5:30 this morning.

I played cards with the boys after breakfast from 7 am till lunch and then after lunch we played more till I quit to write this letter.  We play hears and rummy. 

I picked up a cold somewhere.  My head is stopped up.

The weather is nice.  I clouded up a little bit today and it sprinkled but it didn't amount to anything.  It seems like it is a little hotter each day.   Our compartment is plenty hot at night to sleep in.  I think we have gone about half way now.

.....continued

No comments:

Post a Comment