Thursday, March 3, 2011

Aboard the USNS Meigs-part 2

....continued from August 19, 1953

They had a movie last night but I didn't go.  They have it outside. I might go tonight.  I  haven't been to the PX yet.  There is just a few that can go at one time.  You have to get someone to get things for you.  Cigarettes just cost 85 cents a carton. Well I guess I will stop for awhile.  We just had roll call in our compartment and now we have to leave.  I'll write more later.

We had dinner a little while ago.  It was pretty good.  I just took a shower.  It was salt water and the soap I had would not lather.  I feel clean anyway. This afternoon we just layed around on the deck in the sun.  They played a recording over the speaker.  They were special recordings for the armed services radio. 

At the present time we have two hours difference between here and K.C.  They told us to set our watches back again tonight before we go to bed.  I figure now we have gone 960 miles.  I haven't the faintest idea where we are except we are going west at about 20 knots an hour for 48 hours.

I have taken about two rolls of film altogether. When I have them developed I will send them to you.

All of us are growing mustaches.  That is the 8 of us who are together.  We are all in the same compartment.

There is going to be a movie tonight, Atlantic City. They have two showings a night.  They had Geisha Girl last night.

The talk is that we are going to dock in Japan, Yokohama or something.  Don't know much about it yet.  I would like to get off there for awhile.

We are going on KP tomorrow afternoon about 3 PM.  I hate to go because it is so hot.  I haven't been to sick but could feel a lot better.  It really cleared up today.  The sun came out when I was on deck.  I got my arm burned a little.

Today is August 20, 1953, Thurs.  It is really nice out this morning. Last night I went to the late show and saw Atlantic City.  It was a good picture.  They put the screen on the real most part of the boat and everyone sits around on the deck and watches the picture.  After breakfast everyone sits around on the deck and then everyone goes to their compartment for roll call. 

We went on KP today about 2:30 PM and got off at 7 PM  It is really hot down there.  I work on the serving line and have the same job every time I have KP it seems.  It is better than having the pots and pans.

continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment