Wednesday, March 16, 2011

September 1, 1953-Sasebo

Tues, Sept 1, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

How is everything at home.  Everything is OK here.  We left Yokohama Sunday afternoon the 30th of August for Sasebo, Japan.  The ocean was rough all the way and has been windy, misty, and cloudy ever sense Sat.  I don't know where Sasebo is exactly but you can look on the map.  We arrived this morning about 10.  I was one of the first to get off.  All of the guys were right together.  We got mail when we got off of the ship.  I got 5 letters altogether.  3 of them were mailed to me at Stoneman and 2 from Dad that were mailed the 16 or 17.  That is all I have got so far.

We got here at Camp Sasebo about noon.  We have processed with our records and got paid about 20 dollars.  I still wont get paid my entire amount until I get to my next station. 

We were issued bedding and a canteen.  It is plenty hot here.  I think we are way down south.  The food here is darn good so far.  We live in wood frames with tents over the top.  I think they might be cool.

I didn't tell you at Camp Stoneman when they made up our shipping orders that Zink was the only one who was not in the special orders with us.  According to the orders we are supposed to go to the 25th Infantry Div.   I don't know for sure but I think we will.  We shouldn't be here to long.  Some of the guys are leaving tonight and tomorrow.  We get a new issue of clothes here.  We turn in most of the clothes we have now and get our field issue.  I should know tomorrow whether we will leave or not. 

I would like to got into town here and see what it is like.  I have enjoyed it so far and I don't think 2 years will be to bad.  It's about like Dad said in his letter.

They have Japs for KP here and I doubt if I will have to pull any of that here.  They told us after we get to our out fit we may get a chance to go to school.  I hope we do.    

Continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment