Thursday, March 24, 2011

September 5, 1953. On My Way

Sat. Sept 5, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad and Snapper

Well I am on my way.  I changed my clothes last night about 9 pm.  Didn't get much. I turned in everything I had except my shorts, t-shirts, socks etc.  I got 2 pairs of impregnated fatigues.  They are treated for the prevention of lice.  I got a complete pair of shorts and extra socks.  Nice to have them.  They gave us a cartridge belt, canteen, mess kit.  While I was changing my clothes some one came in the tent and took my rain coat.  Guess I will have to get another one before long some way.

This morn we all lined up to get on the ship.  We started at 10 am and loaded in order of buses to go to the ship.  It was about 3 before they got to me.  There were about 4000 or more.  All of us guys got split up but were all on the ship.  We are on the USNS Marine Lynx.  It is not quite as big as the Meigs, but is a lot nicer and seems to have more room.  I sleep in a compartment with 32 men.  We have a water fountain, piano, coke machine, and right off the day room.  Sipes is in the next compartment.

We are supposed to be out 36 hours.  We pulled out about 8 pm tonight and suppose to arrive at Ishan Korea about 8 Monday morning.  I am still not sure what outfit I am going to yet but I think it is the 5th RTC.  It is not a division but a regiment.  I will tell you more about it later on.

So far I have not been part of any details yet.  I doubt if I will have to because it is such a short trip.  Did I tell you that my over seas time started Aug 10.  I sure should get a good big pay check next time.  I have only drawn 100 dollars sense June 15.  I should draw about 160.  If I do I will send 100 home. 

They didn't give us our mail at Sasebo.  Hope I get it at Ishan where I get off the boat.  Well can't mail this yet so I'll add to it tomorrow.
...continued

No comments:

Post a Comment