Saturday, March 19, 2011

September 3, 1953 Sasebo

Thurs 3, 1953

Dear Mom,m Dad and Snapper


Not to much news here.  Sure is hot.  We sweat all day and night and when you get up in the morning your clothes are still wet from the day before.  Mosquitoes are bad here.  They give us pill once a week for malaria fever. I have to sleep under a sheet to keep from getting bit up.

Yesterday afternoon I took a good shower.  It sure felt good.  The wash basin in the shower hits you about your knees.  That is because the Japs are so short.  I took some laundry to the Jap laundry here.  It cost me 51 cents for what I had.  Last night I went to the PX and got some things.  everything is high except beer and cigarettes.  You can only buy 2 cartons of cigarettes a week.  They have ice cream and watermelon.

Thiderman, Zink, and I went to the beer hall and got some beer.  2 cans cost 24 cents, Budweiser.  That is about all I did.  I got a hair cut, cost 25 cents.  The shop has about 50 Jap barbers.  Some are women.  They do a good job, better than the states, they take a lot more time.  I get a kick out of watching them.  They remind me of bees or ants.  They just jabber away while they work and everything they do has to be just right.

Some of the guys got shipped out today from out tent.  So now we got all the guys in the same tent, one of the boys is in charge of something or other so we have a good chance to get passes.  I hope to get one tonight.

continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment