Friday, March 18, 2011

September 1, 1953. Sasebo, Japan, Cont.

...continued

I am glad everything is going OK at work.  Say hello to the boys for me. 


They have shows here, PX, beer hall, bowling, service club, and skating rink.  there isn't much to look at around here.  The roads are made of rock and the tents don't look like much but the buildings look pretty good.  We sit 4 at a table in the mess hall.  Water is rationed here.  You can only take a shower between 2 and 4.

I was sure broke when I got paid.  I had about 60 cents and 100 yen.  I got your stamps.  I needed them bad.

2Sept 1953

I didn't get to finish this letter last night.  It's 11 AM now.  Last night they called us out and talked to us.  They told us that this camp was a Jap Marine Base during the war.  Sasebo was the town they wanted to drop the Atom Bomb on.  To bad they didn't.  They call this place the Florida of Japan.  It is on the island of Tysher or something like that.

Last night we were on detail for a while.  We cleaned out a ditch.  They have Japanese truck drivers.  I talked with a little guy for awhile.  They have mostly Jap civilian workers here.

We haven't heard anything about when we ship yet.  I hope to say here a while.

I have a couple of new patches for Snapper.  I'll mail them some time in one of the letters.  I also have some cloth paratrooper wings that they wear on fatigues.  I am sending the picture they drew of me in Yokohama.  Doesn't look a lot like me.

Well don't have much more to  to say right now.  I'll write you again soon.

Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment