Sunday, March 13, 2011

August 30, 1953. Yokohama

Sun Aug 30, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad and Snapper

Well we landed in Yokohama Sat about noon.  It sure was good to see land again.  A few of us were lucky to get a pass.  I left the ship about 5 pm and didn't have to be back till 11 pm.  I sure enjoyed myself.

I had about $5 and changed it to 1800 yen.  I saw a lot of things I would like to send home.  I will the next time I get a chance.  I bought a lot of small things.  This stationery was 150 yen, rubber shower slippers 200 yen, cigarettes 40 yen, I had a guy draw my picture for 200 yen.  I'll send you that.  Beer is only 160 yen a quart.  A girl sits with you and pours it for you and talks to you.  They really treat you nice here.  They talk enough English that you can get along good.

It was cloudy and to dark to take pictures. 

I saw a jacket I would like to send Snapper.  It's a silk zipper jacket with embroidery on it.  It only cost 1100 yen which is about 3 dollars.  360 yen is a dollar.  I will get another chance before long probably.

You should write me and tell me the name of that China you want, and anything else you would like.  If I go to Korea I can come to Japan every 3 months for 7 days.  That's the way they do now any way.  Everything is dirt cheap.  I really like it here.  Yokohama isn't the best place in Japan though.  I was surprised at it in some ways.  They drive American cars here, Fords, Chevy's, Plymouth's etc.  There are 47 and 48's mostly.  They dress American style and oriental.  They don't wear shoes much, mostly sandals.  Their stores are neat and clean. 

I went to the United Nations snack bar and had a club sand. (ham, cheese, tomatoes, potato salad, 3 Decker) it only cost about 30 cents.  It was a regular American place where they serve only GI's.  You can spend American script there.

Coming in to the bay there were a lot of ships and fishing boats.  The sky was cloudy and misty and we couldn't see very  far and they played music.  The only people who got off were Air Force officers.  We stayed here all night so they gave out a few passes.  I was the only one of us who got a pass.

In town they don't ware ties.  Our ship is going to leave here before to long, it is about 11:30 am now.  I'll be glad to get where we are going.  I am a little bit tied of this ship.  I guess we go to Sasabo, Japan from here and then they send us from there.  Where that is going to be.

I sure wish you could be here to see the country.  It is really something to see and something I will always remember.  I would like to have spent more time here but I guess I will get another before to long. 

What size jacket should I get Snapper.  I don't want to get one too small.  They showed me one for a boy 6 years old but I couldn't tell if it would fit him or not. 

Write me and tell me anything you want.  I looked for a zipo lighter for Dad but all I could find were those that looked liek a Roson.  I can probably find one a little later on.

This paper is Japanese Wood Paper with lacquer paint.  I thought it was very pretty so I got some.  Each page is different.

Well I can hardly wait until I hear from you.  I sure hope I get some mail from you.  Hope you tell me all the news about everything and everyone.

Well not much for me to say for right now.  I'll write tomorrow or the next day.  This letter probably wont get mailed for a few days.

Lots of love, Ted

P.S.  A am sending a few thing home to keep as souvenirs.  They money is only 10 yen.  It isn't worth much considering that 360 yen is only 1 dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment