Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Aboard the USNS Meigs-part 8

continued the next day....

Thurs - August 27, 1953

I just got off KP.  Started at 2:30.  I didn't do anything this morn much.  Last night I played bingo.  They really had some nice prizes.  I didn't win anything.

It is really hot here.  I use to think some nights at home were hot to sleep but this is worse I have ever seen..  Your are just wet with sweat all night long.  Pillows and bed are soaked when you wake up.  The weather is pretty rough.  It has been windy today and yesterday.  The water is choppy.  About the roughest I have ever seen.  We have been out about nine days now.  I guess we have gone about 4000 miles now.  We are close to Japan.

I have a new patch for Snapper. It is the 82ne Airborne Division.  I will send it when I get a chance.  I also got a card and a certificate for crossing the International Date Line.  It is a custom to get one when you cross the line.  I'll send that also.

I don't know much more to say.  I go on KP in the morning again so I'll write tomorrow evening.

.....continued

No comments:

Post a Comment